Help with removing drive from array and make it a parity drive

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Looking for some guidance. I currently have an array of 9 drives (3x 14tb, 4x 12tb, 1x 10tb and 1x 6tb). Currently one of the 14tb drives is my only parity drive, and the 4x 12tb drives were just added to the array this week. I want to have another parity drive. I was hoping to take one of the 14tb drives out of the array and make it a another parity drive (that that I have 2x 14tb drives as parity drives). 

Currently the 2x 14tb drives in the array are showing as 5.18tb and 3.5tb of free space. 

What would be the best way to take one of the 14tb drives out of service and move it to a parity drive? Does the data need to be moved off of it first? I did try the Unbalanced plugin but when I attempted to move the files from one of the drives it showed a lot of file permission issues and I didnt want to break anything thats running now. 

1 hour ago, fletch8527 said:

Does the data need to be moved off of it first?

If you want to keep the data.

1 hour ago, fletch8527 said:

Currently the 2x 14tb drives in the array are showing as 5.18tb and 3.5tb of free space. 

So the files on both of those disks would not fit on just one of them. Some would have to go to free space on other disks.

More information might suggest more specific ideas.

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

11 hours ago, trurl said:

So the files on both of those disks would not fit on just one of them. Some would have to go to free space on other disks.

More information might suggest more specific ideas.

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

Just to clear up, I only plan to move one of the two 14tb drives. There is already a 14tb as a parity, the other two of them are in the array. 

The 4x 12tb drives that I just added still have over 11TB of free space each. The less full 14tb drive currently in use has 8.82tb used so the contents of that drive could wholly fit in one of the 12tb drives. 

I have also attached my diagnostics.

fletchnas-diagnostics-20240323-0928.zip

• Solution

Basically you just need to move all the data from one of those to other disks in the array, then New Config to get your disks assigned as you want.

Unbalanced is probably going to be the simplest way to automate that. You could do it manually with Dynamix File Manager.

I haven't used Unbalanced but I think it should work fine. If you are having problems maybe ask on its support thread.

You can go directly to the support thread for any of your plugins from its link on the Plugins page of your Unraid webUI.

Thanks for the advice. I did give Unbalanced a shot but backed out when it mentioned all the file permissions issues. Likely due to the docker containers and maybe the hardlinks they create. 

Ill check out their support thread and see what I can figure out.

dynamix.unraid.net.plg - 2023.09.08.0637  (Unknown to Community Applications)

This is no longer supported. Uninstall and get Unraid Connect

Also, install Fix Common Problems, it might tell you (and us) if you have some unnoticed problems.

Unbalanced should run as root so I don't know why there would be permission problems.

@fletch8527

Maybe because your system share has some files on the array. Disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings and see if you can clean that up with Dynamix File Manager.