[SOLVED]Removing a disk

johnm160

I was preclearing a disk and had to close my telnet session, so it never generated a preclear report. I attempted to add the drive to the array to see if I could format it without Unraid wanting to clear it. The drive formated and is now part of the array. YAY! The only problem is I did not really want it there yet, I wanted to toss it on a shelf as future expansion/spare. I know I can unassign the drive and initconfig but then I will have to rebuild parity. Is there anyway to remove the drive without a parity rebuild? Or are my choices leave it in, or rebuild parity?

There has been NO data written to the drive. I am on version 4.7

Thanks

John

I was preclearing a disk and had to close my telnet session, so it never generated a preclear report. I attempted to add the drive to the array to see if I could format it without Unraid wanting to clear it. The drive formated and is now part of the array. YAY! The only problem is I did not really want it there yet, I wanted to toss it on a shelf as future expansion/spare. I know I can unassign the drive and initconfig but then I will have to rebuild parity. Is there anyway to remove the drive without a parity rebuild? Or are my choices leave it in, or rebuild parity?

Thanks

John

only two choices..

Leave it in,

or un-assign,  initconfig and rebuild parity with the new disk configuration.

Thanks

John

only two choices..

Leave it in,

Thanks for the confirmation Joe L.

I just had to go and try out my shiny new drive after preclearing it didn't I.  ???

Guess I will rebuild

Thanks

John

only two choices..

Leave it in,

Thanks for the confirmation Joe L.

I just had to go and try out my shiny new drive after preclearing it didn't I.  ???

Guess I will rebuild

Actually, it is a tiny bit worse...

since you formatted the new drive, it is no longer considered precleared by unRAID.  If you were to add it now to an parity protected array, unRAID would lock you out while it cleared the entire drive.

Joe L.

Thanks for the heads up. Not really a problem now that I know. I only ran one preclear cycle on the drive. This was more to figure out if I could preclear while using the array after the abyssmil 3 MB/s I got preclearing the first drive.

Since I closed the telnet session before the preclear finished it did not generate a preclear report (not sure if that is normal) without that report I have no way of knowing if it is a trustworthy drive. So it is gonna do another cycle or to.

Thanks for the preclear script it is a must have for sure!!

Archived