Slowish network speeds with Intel 82574L NIC controller

I've been having curiously slow network speeds on my UnRaid server since I built it last week and was wondering if anyone else experienced this with the Intel 82574L NIC controller. I found this post about a possible issue here:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/21870

Anyone else have this controller chip and experiencing any speed issues? I am getting about 40MBs with it but the same drives on my desktop with UnRaid gave me over 50% faster speeds.

My motherboard has a second NIC with an Intel 82579 PHY controller so I'll try switching NIcs tomorrow to see if that helps.

the only problem with this theory is the Intel 82574L is currently one of the industry standard chipsets and one of the most stable NICs.

A large percentage of unraid builds are based on Supermicro X7, X8 and X9 motherboards and almost all use this chipset.

I would guess it is is something localized to your set up?

it is possible to get a lemon built in nic. usually those are Usually 100% dead, not running slower then normal.

Thanks for the reply, I think you are right that it's probably my network and not the NIC as I had a great suprise yesterday when I set my MTU to 9000 on my windows machine and got 130MBs speeds :)

Unfortunatly the difference in Ubuntu was less, giving me about a 25% increase to 50MBps. But I think the Jumbo Frames are hiding the real issue because with iperfs, when I use a window size of 2MB (-w 2) I also get those insane speeds. I'm going to try some more stuff today to see how I can get my Ubuntu machines transfering at those speeds but thanks again for your response.