Bios Detects Drive but Unraid Fails

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

I've been having some issues with getting my unraid server built. With a fresh new build I was unable to get drives to appear in my server. I have since returned drives with microcenter tested drives and replaced the PSU (Tuf Gaming 750W Gold) and cables. I also replaced sata data cables. At this point in time, my drives were all being detected in BIOS and by unraid.

I'm now working with a Samsung 970 M.2 Nvme drive (cache), 18TD WD Red pro (parity), 12TB WD Gold (disk). This morning I was beginning to get my array started and was assigning drives. I began by starting expanded test but immediately got temperature warnings for my SSD. All the other drives were proceeding without errors.

I was reading that Samsung has software issues with temperature and is causing my temp warnings. So I increased the threshold to 80 and chugged along assigning drives. After assigning all the drives, I restarted my server for to turn on SVM in the bios. Once it was online, my recently assigned 12TB WD Gold disk was no where to be seen. I did re-disable SVM by the way.

I've scoured the forums and have tried various things such as 

pci=realloc=off

and replacing the sata cables and switching sata ports on the mobo. Currently it's sitting in sata port 2. According to my the mobo manual (AX370 Gaming K7), port 3 is disabled with M.2 installed.

I'm fully prepared to return the drive for another 18TB Red Pro because I've been having so many issues with the WD Gold drives. Perhaps the diagnostic logs can provide some clues before I try replacing the drive. I did look through the logs and am seeing errors such as 

Mar 23 14:38:21 ShapLabsServer kernel: ata3.00: failed to read native max address (err_mask=0x1)
Mar 23 14:38:21 ShapLabsServer kernel: ata3.00: HPA support seems broken, skipping HPA handling
Mar 23 14:38:21 ShapLabsServer kernel: ata3: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)

shaplabsserver-diagnostics-20240323-1549.zip

Memtest was looking great. I swapped the cables between the 2 disks and the 12TB drive still wouldn't show. I'm gonna try to replace it tomorrow with a WD Red Pro. Hopefully that does the trick and I will update.

Those WD Gold's seems to be really frigged up.