General Nextcloud Questions

I'm planning on setting up Nextcloud mostly for hosting/editing documents, Nextcloud calendar, browser bookmark sync, a long with some other little things here and there. I've played around with Nextcloud when I was testing out Truenas Scale, but just have some questions regarding implementing it on Unraid.

1. After watching some of Spaceinvader One's videos on Nextcloud, I was wondering if installing MariaDB is still needed? When I set it up on Truenas scale (using the built-in app), I didn't need to setup a DB, I just created a dataset for the data and just pointed Nextcloud to that. Is a DB still needed, or can I just create a share and point the container to that?

2. I've also read many instances of Nextcloud not updating well (when reading about it on Unraid). Is this just a Nextcloud thing in general, or more specific to Unraid. Either way, has it gotten better as of late? Is there anything I should follow to ensure updates go smoothly?

3. Do most people use one of the docker apps on Unraid, or do some create a VM and install it there?

4. If using the docker apps that are avilaible, is there one that is more full proof? I am thinking of using the Linuxserver.io version.