UnRAID says disk is has failed, passed smart test, passed XFS repair still says bad

Go to solution Solved by itbemark,

The fact a disk is disabled does not necessarily mean it has failed - just that a write to it failed.    More often than not this is dies to an external factor such as cabling or power and the disk is fine.   This section of the online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page discusses this and actions that can be taken.

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread. It is always a good idea when asking questions to supply your diagnostics so we can see details of your system, how you have things configured, and the current syslog.

Posted (edited)

Okay will do! I’m heading to bed right now, but I’ll run them tomorrow.  You are correct I suspected a bad sata cable so I replaced it and it popped back up but like you see still has the X, so you’re spot on with that. It’s weird because unRAID sees everything I’m using unbalance to move all the data to my other drives. 

Edit: Had some time pulled the diagnostics

Screenshot 2024-04-04 221042.png

marshouse-diagnostics-20240404-2208.zip

Edited by itbemark
4 minutes ago, itbemark said:

It’s weird because unRAID sees everything

That is a feature of a parity protected Unraid array.    When a drive is disabled it is ‘emulated’ using a combination of the other data drives plus the parity drive(s) and the system acts as if the drive is still there.

Moving the data off the disabled drive is/was probably unnecessary - just a rebuild being needed to get the drive back to its normal state.   The diagnostics might help if you want feedback on that.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

That is a feature of a parity protected Unraid array.    When a drive is disabled it is ‘emulated’ using a combination of the other data drives plus the parity drive(s) and the system acts as if the drive is still there.

Moving the data off the disabled drive is/was probably unnecessary - just a rebuild being needed to get the drive back to its normal state.   The diagnostics might help if you want feedback on that.

I did upload the diagnostics, hopefully that can help. I’ll also stop the migration now. 

19 minutes ago, itbemark said:

as itimpi said, it was in the manual,

I have often thought the documentation should be made far more prominent in the GUI.

On my own system I have used the Custom Tab plugin to add a 'DOCS' tab to the main GUI which is far more obvious than the little icon in the bottom status bar of the GUI.  This makes the documentation feel far more integrated than the current approach.