Unsupported or no filesystem

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

ss1.thumb.png.d5582dd976a8a936b8cfeb94987083dd.png

Hey all, so I had a PCI>SATA card go bad so I pulled it which took a single drive offline for a while which was emulated while I was getting a SAS card. With the new card, however, I had a bunch of extra SATA ports so I plugged in the new drives as well. When I brought unraid back up the 10TB drive in the photo was rebuilt from the parity over the course of the last 24h while I precleared the two new drives (8TB and 4TB). Now, however, it seems the 10TB drive is showing 'Unsupported or no filesystem' despite having gone through the rebuild just fine and then adding back to the array just fine. I will say when I shutdown and restarted the array post-rebuild I did add the 10TB, 8TB and 4TB all at the same time. Did I break this for good or is there a way for me to bring this 10TB drive (with all its recovered data) back into the array properly? Looking at /mnt/disk1 it's entirely empty and a bunch of my media files are indeed missing...

Was disk1 showing as unmountable before the rebuild (as a rebuild does not clear an unmountable status)?   Have you followed the procedure documented here the in online documentation accessible via the ‘Manual’ link at the bottom of the GUI or the DOCS link at the top of each forum page for unmountable drives?  

The new disks showing as unmountable is expected until you format them from within Unraid to create an empty file system ready to receive files.    However you do NOT want to do this while disk1 is also in the list or you will format disk1 as well thus losing its contents.

2 hours ago, polishprocessors said:

Looking at /mnt/disk1 it's entirely empty and a bunch of my media files are indeed missing...

Not sure how you could be looking at its contents since it is unmountable?

Unfortunately I wasn't paying a lot of attention after the data restore completed, but, because I wanted to add those 2 new drives to my array I stopped the array and put them in, but the drive which was just rebuilt was also asking to be added back in, so I put it in the slot where it was before. I'm not sure why it didn't just get re-added to the array, but I'm certain that 1) not paying attention and 2) not doing this one at a time created issues. I went back and took the 10TB drive out of the array, restarted it and formatted the two new drives, then added the 10TB drive back to the array and it appeared with 9.9TB free, so I think that data's toast. Probably my problem was adding new drives at the same time as when another drive was being emulated. It's not a huge deal-I have backups of any important data-but lesson learned: one thing at a time!!

• Solution
59 minutes ago, polishprocessors said:

formatted the two new drives

This would have also formatted the emulated drive thus wiping its data.    You would have needed to run the procedure for fixing disk1 to make it mountable before attempting any format.

I did, I thought, but alas. Oh well, I have backups, so it's just another long disk restore (from no data to no data because that's what it wants to do), followed by restoring my data. I guess there's no way to skip the disk restore because, even if I don't choose to restore it and instead formatted it and added it empty I'd need to rebuild parity with a new drive, no?