Two WD 1TB drives $428.99, $394.99 AR

josetann

Go to Buy.com, search for "Cavalry 2TB".  You'll see one listed as 409.99, that's the after rebate price.  Do check out the other Cavalry options as well, there's one for just under $500 that has the same two WD 1TB drives, but also has an eSATA port (so you could possibly use this as an external enclosure instead of ripping the drives out).  It's a great price for just the drives, with the bonus of a usb enclosure for two sata drives (too slow for regular use, but it wouldn't be bad for occasional use).

Ok, so the price is $443.99.  Use a 5% off coupon to take off $15 (the coupon is really a 5% or $15 off, whichever is less), that's $428.99 shipped.  A pretty good deal even if you are bad about not sending in rebates.  Send in the $34 rebate, and now you just paid less than $200 per drive.

Direct link to the drive:  http://www.buy.com/prod/cavalry-2tb-2-x-1tb-sata-drives-usb-2-0-external-hard-drive/q/loc/101/205714248.html

Link to the 5% coupon:  http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074

Rebate ends today.

Edit:  The description does not state that it comes with WD drives, but do a search and everyone says theirs came with the WD 1TB drives.  While I haven't received this exact model yet (due to be delivered Friday), I did order the similar model with eSATA (for my DirecTV HR20) and it came with the WD 1TB drives.  Warranty showed as valid on both drives.

Speed isn't listed, I believe they're just the normal 5400-7200rpm drives.  If memory serves right they're the regular ones, not the RAID ones.  There is a difference, but for our purposes the regular are just fine, and do in fact work just fine with RAID.  It should only affect users with regular RAID, where you need to read from multiple drives at once to get a file (if one drive took too long, i.e. powered down or what-not, it could be perceived as an error; this doesn't affect unRAID to my knowledge).  Regardless, if you DID want the RAID version, just get the whatever's cheaper.  There's an official WD tool floating around that can disable or enable TLER, so you can make a non-RE version drive into the RE version, or vice-versa.

Remember that WD uses the phrase "5400-7200" to indicate variability within the product line, not the product.  Specifically, the 1TB drives are all 5400RPM fixed, not variable.

Doesn't really matter much except for the most demanding of applications, which unRaid is not one of them.

Bill