Home Security Camera Setup

I have been considering putting a few cameras around my home.  I have plenty of reserve storage, RAM and processor power on my server, so I would wish to avoid the cloud and keep everything local.

With much of the advertisements, articles and tutorials biased toward cloud solutions or somewhat outdated, I'm reaching out to the Unraid community for ideas and suggestions.

What software would you recommend?  Docker or VM?

Recommendations for camera hardware also appreciated.  Need to stay reasonably priced/value for the money.

If you are currently running a camera system, what would you do differently?

I look forward to everyone's input.

Not quite what you're after, but I decided to go Unifi after not liking other camera options I could find... So much wifi and I wanted PoE. That was a few years back and you could still self host. I don't mind having to use their NVR - the features keep improving and the camera selection is good. As it stands a UDM Pro keeps up fine and does other useful stuff too. I would want an isolated drive array anyway since it's constantly running, and that's the bigger expense.

• Thanks 1