USB 4 drive dock - only one drive spins down?

Go to solution Solved by SteamedLobster,

I have a 4 drive USB dock connected to unRAID. Its not yet in use so these drives show up in "unassigned devices" and this issue happens if they are mounted or unmounted. No drives have any data on them and they're not in use at all. If I click on "Spin Down" one drive (dev 3) the first in the unassigned devices list spins down (green LED icon next to the dev number goes off) but all the other drives don't. Physically can feel the one drive is not spinning but the rest are.

Any ideas on this one?

Diag file attached. 

tower-diagnostics-20240416-1752.zip

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Fixed this myself via an update to this post of mine.... turns out when you update the firmware you need a drive in each slot of the 4 bay dock AND then you need to flash the Jmicron controller for each slot of the dock to get it onto the latest firmware.... for me this was 1.73hardkernel firmware release and now I can spin up and down all the drives or individual drives successfully....  For anyone else with a jmicron 758 controller dock I'd recommend trying an update. Obviously there is risk here as these firmwares are not from the dock vendor but it worked for me on a cheap aliexpress 4 bay dock!

Edited by SteamedLobster