No parity, but write certain folders to all drives for redundancy

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hi, I have a NAS box that's currently running Windows with DrivePool, but I want to migrate it to UnRaid. I use it mainly for storing media and running Plex and WIndows as an HTPC, but I also have some personal files that I store on there as well.

What I liked about DrivePool is that I could have my personal files be written across all drives to make sure they would survive any drive failures, but without having to use up an entire drive for redundancy. I don't care about my media files being lost just the small amount of personal files. Is there a way I can set up UnRaid to accomplish the same thing? Thanks.

Not without some sort of custom script to handle this.   Normally it the job of parity to provide some level of hardware redundancy.

Having said that you should still be backing up critical files elsewhere off the server as even parity does not protect against certain types of errors that can result in lost files. 

Yeah I already have another backup for my important files. I'm fine with doing it manually using a script but do you have somewhere I can start? A guide or something to setting up scripts on the server? Thanks

• Solution
1 hour ago, dabbo said:

Yeah I already have another backup for my important files. I'm fine with doing it manually using a script but do you have somewhere I can start? A guide or something to setting up scripts on the server? Thanks

The User Scripts plugin can be used to initiate the scripts on a selected schedule for devices permanently available.   Alternatively the Unassigned Devices plugin allows you trigger a script when a particular drive is plugged in.

The content of the script will depend on exactly you want to copy and to where.