High Power Usage

Hello i got a NAS with an r9 5950x 64GB ECC Memory 5 fans and 12 Disks + 2 Sata SSDs. 

And for gpu passthrough in a vm an 1660 Super.

Idle Power usage is always aboth 170w. - With no VM and most of the Docker container turned off

mostly about 230w. with vm and docker up

Any better way to reduce power a bit? or did i made a wrong choice with the processor?

Have you explored the tips in the powertop thread? Disks spin down? What happens if you run without the video card? What card are you running for SATA ports?

I have a 5600x on x570d4u / 32gb 3200ecc, 5 disks, 5 SSD, 1 nvme, x710 dual SFP+, 11 fans, USB device reading power meter, asm1166 SATA card... With all dockers running but disks spin down and IPMI plugged in, home assistant running... Idle mean is 41-42w, absolute minimums 37.5 or so. HA seems good for a few W on its own. Measured with a Shelly.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:05 PM, LeGreatMaxiking said:

I enabled everything on powertop.

Measuring also with shelly

Do you have 'GPU statistics'  plug in installed. That should let you see the GPU powerstate and that should be P8 if fully idle. (View in dashboard)

Hard Drive spin down has a significant impact on idle power. Easily 8W per drive x 12 drives is 100W.

With an old 10C/20T Xeon E5, Quadro P2000, RTX 3060, 8 drives, 4 SSD, 4 x 120mm fans my idle consumption is ~80W with an RM850 PSU + another 25W loss through the UPS but no easy way to reduce right now.