Issues with Port Forwarding

Go to solution Solved by Wnagge,

Hello smart people of the Unraid forum. I'm not sure if my issue is actually with Unraid or not but hoping that someone can help!

I have an Unraid server with dual NIC, one on the MOBO and one PCIE card. The MOBO interface is connected to my ISP modem and the PCIE interface is connected to a POE switch which is in turn connected to IP cameras.

Prior to adding the PCIE NIC, I was able to add port forwards no problem, and the previously forwarded ports are still working. Now that I have the dual NIC I am getting an 'please try again' error anytime I try to forward a new port. I tried to forward a port for another device and it is working which leads me to believe the issue is with my Unraid machine. 

Onto some further information. In my ISP 'connected devices' page, it shows 2 devices with the IP of my Unraid machine. One is MAC address D8:5E... (eth0) and the other is MAC address 30:52... (eth1) Based on a MAC address lookup tool online, the D8:5E device is Gigabyte while the other is a generic Chinese brand so I would say eth0 is the MOBO connection that should be directly to the modem. On the ISP 'connected devices' it shows the eth1 MAC address device as online and the eth0 device shows offline but the server is definitely connected to the internet. The IP cameras also all show as online devices.

Here is my network settings. I'm not sure what of the data is sensitive so if you need to see anything that I've redacted I can provide it.

image.png.d8deaacd250229dc92eee7f802eead81.png

End result is trying to find out if what I'm seeing in the network settings and ISP network information has anything to do with not being able to port forward!

are you running a "?forbidden router?" or is the nic direct connected to the ISP modem, not being forwarded to another service.

Unraid is not a firewall/Router appliance, and the networking is not there to handle a direct connect and port forward on the host machine itself.

image.png.d3acf9d658217a56ea3e3f41fba09117.png

How were you doing port forwarding? unraid direct to ISP?

Logged into Modem ISP
Not sure where if if you have a router....

ISP 'connected devices' page, it shows 2 devices with the IP of my Unraid machine. One is MAC address D8:5E... (eth0) and the other is MAC address 30:52... (eth1)

This is because the unraid networking is in bridge mode. and br0 is the bind for everything.

In theory, mac address is sensitive info for online data scraping.

It sounds like you need to turn off unraid bridging and maybe run a vm for a router. passing the ISP nic and a virtual nic to unraid.

I would recomend ipfire for hte vm os. https://www.ipfire.org/downloads/ipfire-2.29-core185

Edited by bmartino1

It is directly into my ISP modem, not sure what the forbidden routers are even lol. My internet provider is Shaw if you're in Canada and they make you port forward through their dumb app now and not through the web ui. I am not trying to port forward through the unraid machine if that's what you mean (wouldn't even know how to do that), but I was able to port forward through the Shaw app prior to adding the second NIC and can still do it though the app for other devices

ok that make sense. You do really need your own router. Then dmz the ip of that router and use the router for port forwarding. It may be confusing and direction are not straight forward. This is advanced networking on the Linux side. Unraid is not a router. You will need to build one in it...

For the Shaw modem router via phone app to fix port forwarding, we first need to fix the interfaces and the default br0.

in unraid we will need to disable bridging. This will let the mode see only the 1 interface.

Next, we need to make a connection between eth0 and eth1 to share network traffic.

In essence, bring it back to before you had the 2nd nic. You still need to fix other networking to make unraid a switch and pass isp modem traffic to poe switch...

You can try-
Not sure if it will fix, but I would enable bonding to bond eth0 and eth1. While we need a bridge to put traffic from isp network in from unraid to other nic. You would require a router service and would need to run a dhcp server / firewall instance.

so a VM pcie pass ISB nic and unraid virtual nice - vhost/virbr0 (tied to the other nic  - which can be hard to do...)
-we would later bridge the vm nic to unrad eth1 to make the vm routers traffic dhcp for the poe switch.
https://www.baeldung.com/linux/bridging-network-interfaces

Many pc routers pros and cons to all...:
openwrt - https://openwrt.org/downloads

pfsense - https://www.pfsense.org/download/

opensense - https://opnsense.org/download/

ipfire - https://www.ipfire.org/downloads/ipfire-2.29-core185

I recommend ipfire as it just works and can be a quick and simple installation.

Edited by bmartino1

First of all, thank you VERY much for all the detailed information!

Unfortunately most of the things mentioned in your second post seem above my skill level at the moment. However, your mention of bridge mode led me to turn that off so that it is as if I didn't have the second nic, and should be back to the same as when port forwarding did work. So I turned off bridge mode, the mac address for the interface physically connected to the ISP modem/router is showing connected. But now Shaw's broken app they force you to use for port forwards doesn't work and won't let me sign in, sigh. I guess I will wait until their app comes back online and see if that solves my problem!

Once again, thank you for the replies and I'll provide an update to my situation when I can.

• Like 1