Excessive writing to ZFS pool when Docker enabled

I have a ZFS pool of (2) nvme drives.  Currently used only for docker (7 mundane docker containers installed: pi-hole, homer, paperless-ngx, redis, duplicacy, mealie and stirlingpdf ). 

If I have the Docker service enabled, and all containers stopped - there are no writes to the nvme drives.

As soon as I enable any docker app, the number of writes to the nvme drives starts ticking up and never stops.  This happens even if I am not using the app at all.  The more apps that are started, the more quickly the write counter rolls up.  I only noticed this because I was on the Unraid Main page and noticed the drives had something like 1.3M writes - accrued over a couple/few weeks.  Reads were a few thousand, if I recall correctly.  This 'feels' excessive to me.

I see the forum discussions re: how to limit or reduce the size of the log files.  But I don't seem to be finding any discussion about the root cause of the constant writing.  My log files are not large in terms of storage size (largest is 8MB), my concern is just the constant writing to the drives for reasons I don't really understand.

Is this normal?  Should the docker nvme drives just be getting written to constantly anytime a docker app is online?

Or perhaps I am mis-interpreting the meaning of the "writes" counter for these drives as shown on the Main page?

Maybe this is perfectly normal behavior for Unraid's docker implementation or for using ZFS (this is my first time diddling around with ZFS)?

Any insight is appreciated!