6.12.8 - one of my drives keeps waking up after being spun down - solved

Posted (edited)

I just added a new hba card the adaptec hba1000 8i8e and connected the 5 internal drives to it. Everything went fine when I added the card, it sees all the drives, everything works as expected. I spin down my hdd after 1 hour of inactivity. The array is 1 parity and 4 hdds. Four of the drives are 16tb exos and 1 is a wd 16tb WDC_WD160EDGZ-11B2DA0. For whatever reason, that drive keeps waking up after being spun down for 5min. In the log I see it's spun down and then 5min later wakes up. There is 0 activity on the server, no dockers are trying to access it.

May  2 17:17:43 BanKai emhttpd: spinning down /dev/sdd
May  2 17:22:51 BanKai emhttpd: read SMART /dev/sdd

I see that constantly, today. A few minutes after the drive spins down, it wakes back up. Not sure what the reason for that would be. I have just completed a parity check, there are no errors. All the cables are brand new, so I'm not sure what's causing this thing to constantly wake up. Prior to this I had an m2 to sata adapter where all 5 drives were connected to it in the past year. Never experienced this issue. Any ideas would be welcome.

Edited by SashaG
  • SashaG changed the title to 6.12.8 - one of my drives keeps waking up after being spun down - solved

New cables doesn't mean good cables. Went back and swapped 1 of the breakout ssf 8643 to sata cables that was connecting the drive. It looks like the cable was faulty. Since the change, no more issues.