Server crashing, segfaults, null pointer dereference, unable to handle page fault...

Go to solution Solved by apool,

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, I'm in dire need of help. For the past few days I've been trying to setup a server using second hand components, but I can't seem to even complete a first boot without the server crashing on me.

First of all, my components are an i5-10505, 8gb Hynix RAM (HMA81GU6AFR8N-UH), asrock b460m-itx/ac, nothing else is plugged in besides the cpu cooler, monitor via HDMI, keyboard. My boot drive is one of the recommended in the docs, a Samsung bar plus 64gb, plugged into a 3.2 port, as my motherboard doesn't have a 2.0 one, just a header connector for them. Running version 6.12.9, just because I thought maybe it was something in the latest version that was causing issues, but no.

I don't know how many times I've flashed the boot drive (and manually inserted the key file as unraid recover services wouldn't work). The first boot would go okay, I could set up a root password and log in to the dashboard, but out of the blue the webUI would become unresponsive and eventually time out to a 500/504 internal error, and on the plugged monitor would appear a lot of lines regarding errors (see attached photos). Ran memtest for 6 hours before I had to stop it, 5 passes, no errors.

The errors I have encountered are: Bzimage checksum error, bzfirmware checksum error, BUG: kernel NULL pointer dereference, BUG: unable to handle page fault for address, some segfaults at first...

I'm not skilled enough in this area so please bear with me. I've tried with a spare motherboard I had, a MSI H150M PRO, and the same would occur. Do I have a bad CPU or RAM?

Attached you'll find the diagnostics compressed file, also a file named 'syslog-previous'. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Also I can't seem to shutdown the server, I'll try 'sudo shutdown now' and wait the graceful period and it won't do nothing, I'd have to force a shutdown turning off the PSU.

Please help me, I've tried to remember everything and go into detail, thank you all.

IMG_2998.JPEG

IMG_2999.JPEG

anas-diagnostics-20240503-0225.zip syslog-previous

Edited by apool
2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If you have a different DIMM try with that one, memtest is only definitive if it finds errors.

I do not have a spare stick, I could get one from my PC though. Will try in a few hours

Posted (edited)

Tried a different RAM stick, no changes. I do have a spare mobo and CPU, I'll try with that and report back. EDIT: CPU is 11th gen and my mobos only support 10th gen, I'm out of options.

No one can help me here?

Edited by apool
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

So yeah, I have gotten ahold of another cpu + mobo that could support it and Unraid is running fine as of now, so I think I may have a bad CPU

Edited by apool
  • Like 1