Unraid renames itself, losses some config settings mostly custom settings likes custom ips, port numbers, times zones, ntp, dns, etc

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Posted (edited)

All that stuff was easy enough to put back in no big there, but I think some hardware event might have caused it.  When i rebooted, couldn't log in to wegui or ssh.  Webui have reverted to standard port from a custom, and ssh, ntp, time zones, ip addresses dns, and various other mostly non-critical things were either disabled or reverted to what looked like an out of box config.  Nothing that can't be changed back that way it was so no major loss.

I wonder if its the flash drive, no errors that i can see.  I was also having issues with the nvidia 1060 i had in it.  I think that card was going bad.  Pulled it any out anyway.  Idk, that box is older then crap and has had unraid on it for a very long time.

But if u get bored and feel like looking at logs holler if u see something im missing.

syslog-192.168.7.17.log tower-diagnostics-20240504-0923.zip

Edited by baracas
spelling
  • Solution

Those are symptoms of Unraid being unable to read its configuration from the flash drive.   That suggests either the flash drive is starting to have problems or something is causing it to drop offline or some corruption in the configuration information saved to the flash drive.

At the very least I would suggest plugging it into a PC/Mac and running chkdsk on it. You also might want to look for the presence of FSCK type files on the flash drive indicating earlier corruption found and an attempt made to fix it.   You should also take the opportunity to make a backup onto your PC/Mac.

Indeed that is it i think.  For some reason i was envisioning something worse.

FSCK0000.REC

FSCK0001.REC

made a backup right after that happened.

will get a new flash and transfer after i look up the procedure and stuff

Thanks, much appriciated.

I have had drives that have lasted for years after giving similar symptoms.    I simply reformatted (doing a full format rather than a ‘quick’ one.them and then set them up again from my backup.   I assume the reformat caused the rewritten data to avoid any borderline cells on the flash drive.

Still, I do make sure I have ‘spare’ flash drives available so I can immediately replace any drive that I decide can no longer be used successfully.   I also have automated backups of the flash drive in place.