Adding new SSD to existing cache pool, causes both drives to be unmountable

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

Hello!

I have been running my unraid server for a few months and have decided to add some more drives.

Right now, I have a single SSD for a cache drive (500gb) but I wanted to add another drive to the pool (1TB). 

The problem is when I add my new drive to the pool, both drives become unmountable, but when I remove the new drive and set the pool back to 1 slot, my original SSD works like normal. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks!

188c7fbe0d04eac6e0dcffd57e31b73f.png

• Solution

Your problem is due to the fact the pool is formatted as xfs and that format only supports single-drive pools.    If it had been formatted as btrfs then you could have easily added the drive.

to do what you want you need to back up the current contents of the pool to the array; delete the existing pool; set up a new 2 drive pool using btrfs.   Format the pool to btrfs and then copy the contents back.    By default the pool will be set up as raid1 with the usable space that of the smallest drive, but you can click on the drive on the Main tab and change it to use the Single btrfs profile which will give you the full 1.5TB of usable space.

26 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Your problem is due to the fact the pool is formatted as xfs and that format only supports single-drive pools.    If it had been formatted as btrfs then you could have easily added the drive.

to do what you want you need to back up the current contents of the pool to the array; delete the existing pool; set up a new 2 drive pool using btrfs.   Format the pool to btrfs and then copy the contents back.    By default the pool will be set up as raid1 with the usable space that of the smallest drive, but you can click on the drive on the Main tab and change it to use the Single btrfs profile which will give you the full 1.5TB of usable space.

Awesome, thanks for the help!