Disk keeps being accessed while it shouldn't; preventing spindown.

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Hi!

I am having trouble solving this. My goal is to make my Unraid server as silent as possible (especially at night), because I must have it in my bedroom. I have a zfs formatted SSD pool which houses all of my shares including appdata. I do a daily zfs backup (at 10 am in the morning) to a USB HDD in the array (I followed SpaceInvaderone's recent zfs backup tutorial for this, I use his script). I am planning to move to proper internal HDDs once I can make sure they won't spin up in the middle of the night (as even a single drive is quite an investment for me).

The problem is, that every ~20 seconds or so, the disk has a very short write of ~250 kB/s, which prevents it to ever spin down. I downloaded the plugins 'file activity', 'open files' and 'dynamix active streams' to check where the writes are coming from, but it's always empty. Do these writes come from some sort of zfs thing? Or perhaps from the USB protocol? I also checked the backup script, but it is not running.

I hope somebody can help me with this.

Posted (edited)

yes, I have installed it.

Edit: and I have now uninstalled it. It seems the ZFS master plugin was the culprit. Thanks for pointing me to this! This will prevent a lot of headaches at night :)

Edited by PatrickSn