User Shares doubts

cpny

Hi , so been testing unraid some more since i'm thinking of buying it and still a bit confused about the user shares .

So let's say i have sickbeard and couchpotato on my unraid server , so it downloads from the server to the server , will user shares even make a difference in this case since it's saving it locally and not though a network share ?

So my goal would be to download to it as if it was one disk from the server itself and not have to change download locations each time it's filled , also not sure how the indexing would work , let's say i wanted it to be one disk named Media with the folders TV and Movies in it , so from what i read i would have to add multiple sources from xbmc since it seems to index stuff by each disk instead of being able to just add Media/TV on xbmc .

Thanks , just a bit confused with how this works

User shares allow the system to decide which disk to place files on based on how you configure it. They also present a consolidated view of all the files in a share, regardless of the physical disks they are located on.

This is true on the local file system as well as via the network. XBMC also works fine with user shares. I'm using it that way as we speak.

See here for more in-depth info: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Un-Official_UnRAID_Manual#User_shares_2

Archived