Traveling build.............

Posted (edited)

Just an idea for now, still on the fence about this one:

My job requires me to stay in a foreign country for at least 4 months every year, most of them don't have great internet or just too far from my home NAS, so I plan to build a mini NAS with me, my goal is small, silent, and offer a bigger storage space than a portable drive, can run some basic services in LAN, like emby.

Currently considering the build:

CWWK P5 N100 nanoboard

16GB DDR5 RAM

2 * intel S4510 2TB SATA SSD(retired server ones)

EXCERIA NVMe RD20 2TB

3D printed case

It's an all-SDD NAS, but I am still on the fence because the SSD is a bit expensive right now and a single bay 3.5 HDD NAS can easily beat it in pure storage(with a slightly bigger size).

And I don't know how unraid would perform in an all-SSD setup.

Edited by xyzeratul

For me, it doesn't make any sense to have a "mobile NAS". SSDs could easily ghet data corruptions while going to checkpoint controls... and hard drive would most certainly fail miserably after a few airport trips too. They are NOT meant to be transported all around.

Also, how would you get port redirection for any services or dockers in hotels?

If it's just mobile storage, a single USB SSD will be plenty enough for your needs.

For the NAS route, dind a friend with a nice connection and offer to pay the electricity usage of it, then you're set wherever you are

16 hours ago, denishay said:

Also, how would you get port redirection for any services or dockers in hotels?

If it's just mobile storage, a single USB SSD will be plenty enough for your needs.

I usually stay in a rented house or apartment when I work abroad, so port forward isn't a problem, portable SSD is just too small(usually 2T).

SSDs could easily ghet data corruptions while going to checkpoint controls.

X-ray? I didn't consider that, so it would affect the SSD?

Hey,

On the (I suspect we're both talking about nvme) SSD size, they now go up to 8TB :)

Larger exists, but in professional products.

HDs are out of the question if you travel frequently. It's not a matter of if, but when they will inevitably fail [Murphy's law dictates it will be at he worst possible moment of course]

As for X-Rays in airports, they are often accompanied by other imaging systems than pure x-rays and yes, it can potentially flip bits on SSD. Also consider that SSDs need to be powered up once in a while. If you keep them unpowered for a long time, data *will* degrade.

It would help it you would share what you want to do with it. I still have the impression some info is missing. Why the need for a lot of storage while on the go? Whjy does it needs to be fast? (if not, remote access to at-home NAS is really best and safest)