~~Server~~ GUI not starting after 6.12.10 update

Go to solution Solved by Free Man,

For some reason, I didn't get a notification from my server until a couple of days ago that the 6.12.10 update was available.

I kicked it off this afternoon, and, after receiving a "plugin updated" and "ok to restart" notification via pushover, I restarted the server. Now I get no GUI access and no SSH access. I've tried connecting via Firefox (my normal), Brave and Chrome. I cleared all browser history in Chrome and still no dice.

This is the first upgrade issue I've had since 4.x -> 5.0, so I'm shocked and at a loss for what to do. It's been a good 20 minutes or so and there's just no response. I don't have KVM plugged into the server, so I can't see what errors it might be giving me.

The simple, though not recommended solution, would be a hard power-down and reboot to see if it'll start or, power-down and pull the USB to see if there's anything in the syslog. What other options do I have?

Edited by Free Man

OK... something funky is going on.

I just got an array health report from the server via Pushover, so the server's obviously functioning. However the GUI is still not responding and PuTTY connections are refused (haven't logged in via PuTTY in a while - been using the browser based terminal, so I don't remember if I disabled SSH or not).

Any suggestions?

• Free Man changed the title to ~~Server~~ GUI not starting after 6.12.10 update
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

Much as I hated doing it, after 2 hours without the server, no dockers running, and no access to data, I powered off (5 second press of the power button), gave it a few moments, then turned the power back on.

The server came back up, all dockers started, no indications of error, and it did not report an unclean shutdown and start a parity check (which, frankly, surprises me).

I may initiate a parity check later, just to be on the safe side.

Not sure it'll help, but here are diagnostics after it booted.  nas-diagnostics-20240610-2029.zip

This might help with a post-mortum - the syslog date stamped yesterday. Last entry is 9 June 2024 @ 13:42, but maybe there's a clue?

syslog-20240609-134232.txt

syslog-20240609-134232.txt

Edited by Free Man