UnRAID system hangs after some hours

Hey there,

After having months of headache working with a Ryzen 1700 in my unRAID system where it would crash almost weekly (even after doing all the recommended fixes, like disabling C-states). I reverted back to my Supermicro X9srL-f with an Xeon E5-2650 v2. When I had the Xeon setup before, I had years upon years of stability. But now I have similar stability to my old Ryzen 1700 system.

After making the swithc back to my Supermicro/Xeon setup. It worked wonderfully for 4~  months. Suddenly the system started to hang one day and now it is only stable for a couple of hours. I try to figure out what error caused the hang but I seem to also have some trouble with the remote logging. I have setup the unraid remote logging to another Linux system (to /var/log) but when the system hangs, all the log files get emptied. I am aware the logs get wiped on unRAID reboot but I would have thought it would create subfolders on the remote syslog and just keep what has been logged.

image.thumb.png.2019203d6a3e77719ba5eeca05b3f43e.png

P.S. Already did a memtest and that seems to be fine.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Celtic8058 said:

I try to figure out what error caused the hang but I seem to also have some trouble with the remote logging. I have setup the unraid remote logging to another Linux system (to /var/log) but when the system hangs, all the log files get emptied. I am aware the logs get wiped on unRAID reboot but I would have thought it would create subfolders on the remote syslog and just keep what has been logged

Easiest thing is to set up the syslog server on the Unraid system having issues.  The mirror to flash option is the easiest to set up, but if you are worried about excessive wear on the flash drive you can put your server’s address into the Remote Server field.

Maybe I should have clarified better in my original post but I did setup a syslog server. I have a Pi as 'remote server' (the files shown in the screenshot is of the Pi) but when the unRAID server reboots, it wipes the files on the Pi. Which I did not expect.

So I did setup a syslog server that sends the logs to a remote machine, but I do not understand why the remote machine files  get wiped upon reboot/restart of the unRAID machine.

44 minutes ago, Celtic8058 said:

So I did setup a syslog server that sends the logs to a remote machine, but I do not understand why the remote machine files  get wiped upon reboot/restart of the unRAID machine.

Is the pi running syslog server as well to receive the files?   If so there must be something wrong at its end to cause the files to be wiped.

As I mentioned capturing the files locally either by using the Mirror to Flash option or putting your server's IP address into the remote server field should result in a log file which may capture something useful.

Posted (edited)

After a lot of troubleshooting, I noticed that one of my disks had one bad sector. I did not think much of it but my Supermicro had a lot of trouble booting or even getting into unRAID. After some Googling:

BIOS POST code A2 means that it can not detect a HDD with a valid partition
structure and boot record.

Or does it mean that my USB stick died?

deadsupermicr.jpg.c686446dec031ca314952ae748fa8132.jpg

Edited by Celtic8058