Nas to Unraid Data Migration

Hey all, 

I am moving my media off of a Synology NAS (with 16TB of media)  onto my newly built unRAID server. I've read that the best way to do this is to use SMB to mount the NAS and then use either Rsync or Krusader to move the files. I'm not sure what the best order of operations would be to ensure the move is successful. I've gotten some advice, but I want to get some more opinions. Here's what I'm planning:

1. Create an array on the unRAID server using one 14TB drive and one 8TB drive.

2. Create the data share on the array using the Trash Guide file structure. (will this cause issues when I add my cache drives?)

3. Move the media from the NAS to the respective locations on the unRAID server.

4. Once the data is moved, add an 18TB drive for parity and 2x1TB NVMe drives for cache (one for appdata/ VMs and the other for my downloads/atomic moves).

5. Finally, add the three 14TB drives from the NAS to the unRAID server.

Does this sound like a good approach? Am I missing anything? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rsync is the way to go but can be weird with linked files and such without the right flags. It does not require smb. It's super useful to be familiar though.

Krusader is more familiar for folks used to a GUI. I haven't used it for this kind of transfer.

Is the 18tb a choice for any particular reason? You only need 14tb for parity.

Not at all familiar with what you describe in 2.

Appdata cache plan makes sense, not sure about the other. You may want a write "cache" after the files are moved over if you need more than write speed of a spinning disc (or am I just misunderstanding your description here). Lots of ways to set things up though so do what suits your needs.

As long as you confirm 10x over your data is transferred before destroying the filesystem and moving them from the nas to unraid, you can try and redo till you have it right.

Another option would be create the array and move over your shared Synology data via network with a laptop/pc.  It would be significantly slower but would allow you to do a side by side look to compare your relocated data is complete (edit: from a different network location.)

CJD above nailed the #1 point of "confirm 10x over your data is transferred".

Edited by Veah