Computer Backup Solutions

Guest Sparkie

Guest Sparkie

I'd like everyone input on PC Backup. There are so many ways to go about this I will give an outline of my setup and I'd like to get everyones input and current methods.

I'd like all the PC's in the house to sync certain files and folders onto the Unraid server.

Here are the PC's I have in the house.

Laptop 1 - Windows XP

Laptop 2 - Ubuntu

Workstation 1 - Ubuntu XP Dual Boot.

Workstation 2 - Vista

LinuxMCE server gateway computer.

I would like to save images of a PC onto the unraid server so if say my girlfriends laptop goes haywire, a simple restore brings it right back to a stable state.

I would like to be able sync folders on my ubuntu laptop to the server. For instance. I am out of town I work on projects. When I come back home I'd like to update the files on the server to match whats on my laptop.

It looks like I may have to install differnt client software on my my various PCs.

Simpler to use, the better...

For laptops and desktops I like to use NORTON GHOST.

For other machines I use RSYNC and a program called HDUP which works with TAR.

I like to use rsync for massive directory syncs like my MP3 area.

My co-worker uses Backula for all his machines, however it's not a simple solution.

http://www.bacula.org/en/

I do plan to go down that road, so I may be able to help in the future.

I can't give you any clues for your Ubuntu boxes, but for Windows:

I've been using Acronis True Image Home for the last few months and am fairly satisfied with it.  I have used Norton Ghost in the past and thought it was ok, but after using both my preference is for Acronis.  I've ghosted a few of hard drive images with it and restored that image to a replacement hard drive without any issues.  I've used it with Vista without any problems too.

Occassionally newegg has it $10 off + free shipping on its Daily Deals, which makes it a fairly good deal at about $26.

For syncronizing folders I'm using Allway sync (allwaysync.com) which has a fair number of features, including the ability to sync files/folders at startup or shutdown, for example.  You can start with the free version, but after using it for awhile it well tell you that you have used it too much and must upgrade to the pro version, but it is not that expensive. 

I've also used sync toy which is free (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en).  It is not as feature rich as Allway sync, but is good enough for doing manual runs.