[SOLVED] Can't assign new drive to existing slot.

So I'm in the process of attempting to upgrade my array from 5x 1TB drives to 5x 12TB drives and I've been following the "Replacing a Data Drive" FAQ page. I stopped the array and unassigned the parity drive, shut down the system, replaced the old parity drive with the new 12TB drive and booted the system. Under Main I clicked the drop down with "no device" and clicked the label of the new drive. The page refreshed and the drop down still says "no device" but the drop down no longer shows the unassigned device. The device shows under Unassigned Devices and in the System Devices tab as well as in BIOS so I'm unsure as to what to do/try next.

EDIT: Some further troubleshooting I've found input/output errors while trying to do a pre-clear and I can't perform a SMART report on the drive.

EDIT 2: SOLUTION: Tried another one of the 12TB drives I purchased and I was able to successfully add it to the array as the new parity drive. I'm afraid the very first drive I tried appears to be DOA. This is my first time replacing drives in the array so I didn't expect this behavior from a DOA drive.

Edited by MarioRPGGeno
  • MarioRPGGeno changed the title to [SOLVED] Can't assign new drive to existing slot.