I'm diving in.

Hi all,

I've finally decided to put a NAS together to store ProTools Sessions and general files on for now, and hopefully DVR'd shows off of an HDHomeRun Prime later.  :)

I will eventually put together one of the 24 drive Norco beasts probably with a Sandy Bridge Xeon and a ton of RAM, an M1015 and ESXi later on, but right now my wife and I are saving up to buy a house, so a small build will do.

After a bunch of studying, I decided Unraid was the way I wanted to go.  I happened upon an eBay auction this past week and, long story short, scored a 3-week old (it came in the original box that has a ship date of 1/11/2012) Supermicro CSE-822T-400LPB for $20.50 and $30 shipping!  I couldn't believe it.  The only thing it didn't include was the rack rails, but I don't need those now and even when I do, they're only $27 at Provantage.  Perfect!  These things are $300 on Newegg shipped.  Absolutely killer deal.  The PSU is even 80 Plus rated.  Exactly what I wanted. 

I won't be buying many harddrives until the prices come back down, which should also be around the time that I will be buying a house (I hope... about 8 or 9 months or so).  Having said that, I've got a couple of 160GB and 120GB HDDs I'm going to install into this Supermicro case, along with a motherboard/CPU/RAM combo from a computer I got from work for free (Dell Optiplex 320 I believe) and just play with 3 drives on the free version until I'm ready to purchase Unraid and HDD prices have come back down.  But I'm happy to be getting started!

I'll be going to work tomorrow night just to work on this thing.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

Ultimately, I'm going to have a nice 2U, 6-Hotswappable Unraid server for a total of maybe $100 not including HDDs.  I'm pretty happy with that!  :)

I will update tomorrow with a few pics.  The biggest challenge will be getting the Dell mobo spliced to work with the Supermicro front panel switches and lights.  That may take some time. 

Brandon

I can't wait!

Yep, found that out yesterday when I fired it up.  :)  Fortunately all of the fans in the case are PWMD fans, so I will be connecting them to the motherboard to be throttled. 

I got everything up yesterday, but I'm having NIC issues.  It keeps going up and down.  So I'm going to order a new NIC and go from there.

Brandon

• 3 weeks later...

Thought you all might enjoy this... I've been playing around with Unraid at work.  We just had a EPL from Comcast put in from our office to our datacenter and they lit our fiber up today.  So we decided to use my little Unraid server to test our connection between our office and the datacenter.  :)

IMAG0173.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

If you think the Supermicros are loud, I can't even hear it in this place!  Haha!

I have no doubt this isn't the first Unraid in a data center, but its the first personal computer of mine I've ever had in one.  :) 

Brandon