New Nas Build

stonesbg

Right I need some help with a new NAS Build.  I have pick unRaid as my OS choice.

My requirements are as such.

Fast Storage

Raid 5 (Software)

Low Power up to 6 drives

Allow about 5 users access

Streaming of music and video

I have put these componets together and looking for some feedback as to what you think. I have chosen a motherboard that uses the new sata 3 and USB 3.0.

Fractal Design Array R2

Ocz Technology 128 GB Petrol Series SSD

6x Western Digital 3TB Caviar Green SATA WD30EZRX

Asus F1A75-l Deluxe

AMD A6-3500 FM1

Kingston 8GB Hyperx KHX1333C9D3B1K2/8G

I am hoping to get reads of about above 20mb/s.

I currently have a ReadyNas NV+ which is super crap.  I get only about 2mb/s for my reads

Any help would be appreciated

unRAID doesn't do RAID 5, it has its own proprietary RAID system that is more secure yet slower than RAID 5.  If you want performance, RAID 5 is better.  If you want to be able to recover your data in nearly any situation, unRAID is better.  unRAID can certainly handle writes above 20 Mb/s.  Most people see writes in the 25 - 35 Mb/s range.  A cache drive makes it even faster, but puts your data at risk for a short time.  All of your other requirements are easily met by unRAID.

I don't particularly like the motherboard and CPU you've chosen.  First of all, the mobo has a Realtek 8111E NIC, which is known to be incompatible with unRAID 4.7 (although it does work in the latest unRAID betas).  Secondly, the motherboard has a lot of fancy features that will be wasted on unRAID.  I would recommend that mobo for an HTPC, not for a file server.  Likewise, FM1 CPUs are largely untested with unRAID.  I recommend going with something a bit more tried-and-true.

Take a look at my prototype builds (link is in my sig).  That's a good starting place.  They are generally designed from a budget-friendly perspective, and many of them can be upgraded in various ways.  If you want an ultimately low power server that works as a NAS and not much else, go for a Supermicro Atom board.  If you want a server that is low power yet capable of running any add-on you throw at it, consider an i3 build.

Archived