Need some network assistance, please

Billped

The situation:

* My unraid is on my home network

* I am trying to load some of the movie files from my unraid onto my work laptop since I am about to embark on a global jaunt and don't want to be overly bored on the plane

While I can get my work PC to connect to my home internet access, my work laptop appears to lock me out from changing any profiles or network settings that would allow me to see the rest of my home network, specifically the Unraid.  I don't want to burn to DVD and read back in (sllllllooooowwwww), email is out of the question, I don't have ftp set up on the unraid, and I don't have a USB key large enough to hold ISOs.

So, what do I do that is quick and easy?

I guess I can try to cobble together a USB-based harddrive with parts I have laying around.  Any other ideas?

If I had thought of this before I could have my IT guys set me up with a second profile, but it is too late for that (I leave tomorrow).

Cheers,

Bill

I used to have good luck accessing my work laptop from my desktop computer by going to a windows explorer window and entering the "\\" followed by the IP address of the work computer (e.g., \\192.168.0.10).  If it works right, you will be prompted to logon.  You have to respond with the domain + "\" (maybe "/"?) + the userid (e.g., company/firstname.lastname).

Now I have better luck doing the opposite.  Accessing my desktop computer from my work computer using the \\IP_address.  The userid would be machine_name\userid..

My work computer has a VPN setting to allow passthrough to the local network.  This is needed to be able to print to a local network printer - which is normally needed.  With this setting, I think it would be hard to for the security guys to deny the work computer access to the home network - but I can see a day coming when two computers can be sitting next to each other on the same router and can't communicate.  :(

Setting the workgroup has never been an issue if I use the IP address.

Good luck!

Bill

Did you change the name on the work computer or the home computer? If you change it on the home side, I think you would have to change it on the router, and the server also, but I could be wrong. You might try temporarily turning off the firewall on both computers

Gary T

I'm on the road (in Bawston at the moment) and will have one of the local techs take care of it tomorrow.  I know how to fix it, but they won't give me the super-duper-secret id/pw to log in to my machine - probably a good idea since I would just muck that up too.  :)

Bill

OK, I got it all cleaned up.  I massively screwed things up by the mere change of domain.  Not only did it remove my ability to log in, but it wiped out all the certificates so I couldn't use my company's wired or wireless networks, email, whatever.

My local IT guy laughed at me basically because this is a common problem.  He reiterated what others already pointed out, merely using the IP method would have been simpler and far less problem prone.  Live and learn.

No bad feelings about anyone here, btw.  I ask questions in a public forum and take my chances with the answers.  I'm sure I have been something less than spot-on a few times in my own efforts to help others so I can't get upset at others who attempt to help me.

As always, thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Bill