(solved) Im confused please help

Ryan00

okay i tryed google and cant find any information maybe im missing somthing  :-[ Im trying to run a smart report from unmenu so ill go into unmenu then click on disk management. Ill pick the drive i want to do my test on in this case im trying a short smart test on disk 2 . So ill pick disk 2 and this is what i  see 

Smart Short Test of /dev/sdb will take from several minutes to an hour or more.

smartctl -t short -d ata /dev/sdb 2>&1

smartctl version 5.38 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] Copyright © 2002-8 Bruce Allen

Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===

Sending command: "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode".

Drive command "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode" successful.

Testing has begun.

Please wait 2 minutes for test to complete.

Test will complete after Tue Feb 21 23:27:57 2012

Use smartctl -X to abort test.

okay looks good so far , ill wait 2 or 10 minutes then ill click on mymain to see the smart report. Ill click on sm under info for disk 2 .  It will show me the smart report for that disk , now for the questions

1. is their anyway to know when the test is done? (time and date) In disk managment ill click reload page and nothing changes. 

2. I can't seem to find where it says the last time the test was ran for that disk anyway of doing this with unmenu? (again time and date last test ran.

3. If running a long test which takes some time is their anyway to get the status of the test with unmenu?

The only thing i see to tell somewhat of the status is this here and it doesnt tell you any dates or times .

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Short offline      Completed without error      00%      155        -

# 2  Short offline      Completed without error      00%      155        -

# 3  Short offline      Completed without error      00%      155        -

# 4  Short offline      Completed without error      00%        29        -

4. when i click on smart history  this here comes up

Sorry: cannot run smarthistory.

The /boot/smarthistory directory does not exist.

Im guessing i have to download a file and put it on my flash drive?  Also can i run this with unraid 4.7? because i read somewhere it was only for 5.0 beta is that right ?

Your info appears to be correct and that's about all the data you get on the tests. If you checked it immediately after starting then the "Remaining" might show some percentage other than 0. If you do a long test you can monitor the progress that way. It appears you've done the test 3 times when the drive had 155 hours on it. If you do a long test then make sure you disable the spindown since the spindown will abort the test. Honestly, I don't see much point in doing regular short tests or long tests. Just monitor for bad sectors.

Peter

Peter thanks for the reaply, may I ask how can you monitor the bad sectors? So their really isn't anyway to see when you last ran a test ?

you must compare a current "smart" report with prior ones, and monitor the sectors that have been re-allocated and those pending re-allocation.  There is no built-in timestamp in the disks report.

If using unMenu's  myMain, you can monitor the re-allocated and pending re-allocated sectors on the screen.  if you click on their lines on the screen, you can have it hide the current counts and only show you them again if a change occurs.

Archived