Power Supply

stephenm00

The theory is that a single 12V rail power supply has the advantage that you don't have to worry about overloading one rail and have another that is under loaded.  Percentage-wise, an unRaid box uses more of its 12V for the hard drives (because it typically has sooo many of them), compared to its needs for cpu/motherboard, which are often less than a typical PC. 

The single vs. multiple rail issue is not that clear, as many multiple rail power supplies are mostly marketed as multiple rails when in truth they are single rail power supplies.  I believe all the Antec earthwatts fall into this category - they are advertised as 2-rail, but really are single (btw, they are made by Seasonic, Corsair psu's are made by Seasonic and Channelwell, depending on the model).

I don't know if the Seasonic in your post is a true multiple rail psu or not.  My guess is that it would run an unRaid box loaded with hard drives just fine.  The efficiency rating of the Seasonic is great, but the numbers on the 650w are not that far behind - not enough to really notice the difference on your electrical bill for a given month.

I have both a Corasir 550w and 650w, the 550w is what is driving my unRaid box (only 9 hard drives right now), and the 650w is on my regular desktop.  I am very happy with them and will lean toward Corsair psu's for any of my future purchases.

PC Power and Cooling makes power supplies that could only be termed "legendary".  They have been in the PSU business since approx. the dawn of time, and make the best PSUs out there.  The drawback, of course, is the price.  But a PCP&C supply does not have any BS wattage numbers, so you could be pretty sure that what you get is what is promised in the add.

If your business ran on your unRAID server, a PCP&C supply is the only one I would use.  (My unRAID is just a DVD server, so it just gets an Antec.)

SirWired