unRAID noob

Dramed

Greetings :)

I was not sure where to place this post, so it seemed fitting it ended up here.

I am a very new unRAID user, less than a day old. After much thought and googling, aimlessly looking for a cost effective home storage solution for my music, dvds, and assorted media, I stumbled across this little gem.

I trawled through the forums digesting all I could, and after a week or so managed to talk my wife into spending a modest £150 on a new MB, memory, cpu, and pci ide card, combined with some old IDE hard drives I already had kicking about as well as the other assorted pieces required to complete my first server build.

I have to admit I have approached my first excursion into the land of linux with mixed feelings and a little trepidation.

So I spread everything out on the living room floor and pieced together the hardware, I've not build a pc in a few years so it was a little exercise for the grey matter, but it all came back to me with a few notes of modified fittings and improvements in MB design.

I carefully followed the intructions to build the free version of the unRAID OS on a flash drive I already had and plugged it into the newly built server.

The server powered up perfectly, BIOS selftests all passed, I made a few modifications to the boot ordering, and disabled the on-board sound.

Saved and exited the BIOS, the USB Flash Drive booted first time, and my server appeared the come to life.

I moved hastily to my laptop and pathed to the tower....

It works perfectly.

I had to work out the basics myself, but the forum trawling paid off and I now have a small, but perfectly formed media server.

To be honest I cant believe just how easy it was, I am still expecting a problem to occur... lol (but hoping it wont)

I would just like to take this post to thank the designer(s), for solving a problem I have been mulling for some time now, and for making the set up so painless.

I can see myself purchasing the pro key in the near future so long as the system and OS remains stable over time.

Keep up the good work :)

Greetings :)

I can see myself purchasing the pro key in the near future so long as the system and OS remains stable over time.

Keep up the good work :)

The pro key will be well worth it and as an early adopter of Unraid (about 2 years ago) I can say my server runs great....from time to time I have to reboot my router but the only time I've ever had to reset Unraid was for a disk upgrade or beta testing.

Enjoy

Erik

Archived