Unraid won't boot

I just had a problem where I lost connectivity on my unraid server and so I shutdown using the power down command from the console. When it came back up it hung. Says something about a SMART test on the screen and two of the drives are churning away. No activity on the other drives. I was afraid to reboot it from there so I let it sit to see if it would fix itself eventually and move on. It has been sitting there for about 4 hours and nothing has changed.  I can't lost a syslog yet because I can't get it to boot. Can someone please advise me on where to go from here?

Btw. I am on the latest 4.x version.  Just not sure if the disk churning means that it's actually doing something or if I should just hard boot it.

If you cannot telnet in, or log in via the system console, something is very wrong and you need to reboot.

Overall, it looks pretty good.  The system is recovering from a previous failed shutdown, so lots of transactions were replayed, and a parity check started (not completed in this syslog).

You appear to have a gigabit network chipset, but it is connecting at 100 Mbps, so network speed must be slow.  Should it be connecting at gigabit speeds?

The only drive issue is a 'glitch' with the 120GB drive, 36 minutes into the parity check.  It does not appear serious, but is not desirable.  I would check other syslogs, previous and subsequent, for the same error lines (see below).  I notice you have the 3 PATA drives attached to the Promise IDE card, and not to the IDE connectors on the motherboard.  Any reason why not?  I suggest reconnecting the 120GB drive to the motherboard, keeping in mind it is currently configured as a slave drive.

kernel: hdh: ide_dma_intr: bad DMA status (0x55)

kernel: hdh: dma_intr: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }

kernel: hdh: possibly failed opcode: 0xc8

I don't see any clues as to what happened previously.  It could have been helpful if you had saved the syslog when the trouble happened in your first post, before you shut down.  You said "Says something about a SMART test on the screen", can you remember more exactly what the wording was.  SMART tests being initiated by the BIOS is rather unusual.  Do you remember which 2 drives were 'churning'?

Archived