uNRAID Network Issue

Beta-5.0-rc5

Hello..

After almost a year of uNRAID working flawless, I woke up this morning to find that my server is no longer recognized by my windows network.  So far, i have tried swapping out CAT5e cables and switches with no success.  I started and restarted networking services with the  /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 with no luck after searching the uNRAID WIKI.  I'm hoping someone can view my log and tell me what has happened to my server.  The sever boots fine to Tower logon and i can access with Root and no password like normal, but I get no GUI what-so-ever when typing the "tower" command in my browser and the TOWER no longer shows up on my windows network share center.  I have tried typing the IP address directly in the browser but Since the server is not showing up in windows share I'm not sure if the DHCP service on my router is even assigning an IP.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as of now my server is considered "Down"...

syslog.zip

From the log, it would appear that unRAID is seeing a response from the DHCP server (your router?) - in this instance it has been allocated the address 192.168.10.244.

I suspect that what has happened is that you are using a non-fixed ip address and something has changed on your network so that the address your unRAID server is receiving has changed.  Why this hasn't happened 'for almost a year' baffles me.

I would very strongly suggest that you allocate a fixed ip address for you server, either by making a MAC/ip assignment at your dhcp server, or by setting a fixed ip in the unRAID configuration.  Be careful not to use an address which the dhcp server uses in its dhcp pool.

Thanks a bunch Peter... 

I did see the IP you are referring to, but i was unsure about it since it was wayyyy out of range.  I did however see the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 which assured me that my NIC is still working properly.  I forgot to mention that I moved to a new home last week and my router was updated to a new GIGABIT router that Verizon has now when they came by to re-install my internet service.

So I will try your suggestion and assign a static IP, but I'm unsure what you mean when you say not to use an address the DHCP server uses in it's DHCP pool...  I guess I will have to google this and find out.  Thanks for the response and i hope your suggestion works out! 

Looks like setting the static IP did the trick.  My routers Dynamic IP range was 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254 .. so I limited the range from 254 to 19 and set My two HTPC's to 20 and 21 and uNRAID server to 25.  Back up and running like normal now!  I guess this was a trivial issue, but it was wayyy major for me. 

....thanks again! 

I did however see the loopback address of 127.0.0.1 which assured me that my NIC is still working properly.

Ummm .... the loopback address has nothing to do with a physical port - it will be created even if there is no physical port.

I forgot to mention that I moved to a new home last week and my router was updated to a new GIGABIT router that Verizon has now when they came by to re-install my internet service.

Ah, a crucial bit of information!!!

Looks like setting the static IP did the trick.  My routers Dynamic IP range was 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254 .. so I limited the range from 254 to 19 ...

I presume that this is the dhcp address pool from which the router will issue dynamic address allocations, 192.168.1.19 - 192.168.1.254.

and set My two HTPC's to 20 and 21 and uNRAID server to 25.

If you have set these as static addresses on the devices themselves, and not as forced dhcp allocations on your router, this will give you problems!

You have set yout HTPC to 192.168.1.20, and your router is allowed to hand out that address via dhcp - if that happens, you will have two devices with the same address.  I'm guessing that you don't actually need a huge number of dynamic addresses - why not set that range to 200-254?

Back up and running like normal now!  I guess this was a trivial issue, but it was wayyy major for me.

....thanks again!

Good to know, and pleased to have helped.

1.  Well....  I must read up the Loopback address in detail....  I was under the impression that it was used to determine the responsiveness of a machine's LAN port weather physical or virtual and it's connection to an adjacent machine or gateway.  Since a loopback test was successful with my server, I assumed the connection between it and my router was golden. 

2. I did leave out the info regarding my router because i assumed my issue was uNRAID related and not the fault of my network...  I Apologize!

3. Let me clarify...  Once you mentioned DHCP IP address pool, I researched then tapped my router and found the address range was set between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254..  SO, I modified this range to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.19.  THEN, I set static IP's on my HTPC's and uNRAID to the one described.

4.  Thanks again for your assistance and I will become a recognized expert on the use of LoopBack 127.0.0.1 after extensive research!!

3. Let me clarify...  Once you mentioned DHCP IP address pool, I researched then tapped my router and found the address range was set between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254..  SO, I modified this range to 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.19.  THEN, I set static IP's on my HTPC's and uNRAID to the one described.

Ah, okay!  I obviously misunderstood - you meant that you reduced the upper limit of the dhcp dynamic address pool from 254 to 19.  So, what you have done is absolutely correct.  All should be well!  :)

Ah, okay!  I obviously misunderstood - you meant that you reduced the upper limit of the dhcp dynamic address pool from 254 to 19.  So, what you have done is absolutely correct.  All should be well!  :)

depending on your router, it might have worked without reducing the address-range of the DHCP-pool, as some routers will check to see if another device on a LAN is using a specific address before assigning it to a new device requesting DHCP services.

It is best not left to chance, so you'll be better off now that you set the pool of IP addresses to a range that does not include those you set statically.

Joe L.

depending on your router, it might have worked without reducing the address-range of the DHCP-pool, as some routers will check to see if another device on a LAN is using a specific address before assigning it to a new device requesting DHCP services.

... which works fine while all the statically addressed devices are running while the dynamic addresses are assigned, but if the dhcp server assigns an address which is also used statically by a device which is subsequently started up ....

The way to avoid this is to assign static addresses by 'binding' them to the mac address on the dhcp server ... but this is not helpful if you try to start up a device while the dhcp server is not running!

It is best not left to chance, so you'll be better off now that you set the pool of IP addresses to a range that does not include those you set statically.

Indeed.

... which works fine while all the statically addressed devices are running while the dynamic addresses are assigned, but if the dhcp server assigns an address which is also used statically by a device which is subsequently started up ....

Good point..  and one I did not think of.

I do use my router's feature to assign specific IP addresses based on MAC address... but also have two unRAID servers on high IP addresses  with fixed IP addresses.  I'm thinking I need to make sure the DHCP Pool  stops below those two fixed addresses.  I think it has never been an issue since they are always on and since the (old) router assigned addresses from the low numbers upward.

(excuse me while I go administer my (new) router)

Joe L.

Edit: it was set for a pool of 50 DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.2.10, so there was no conflict with the statically assigned addresses.  (as of this moment, there are only 12 DHCP devices active on my LAN, so a max of 50 DHCP  leases is fine)

I do use my router's feature to assign specific IP addresses based on MAC address... but also have two unRAID servers on high IP addresses  with fixed IP addresses.

Yes, servers are the devices most likely to be started up before the dhcp server becomes active, and the only devices on my lan which have fixed addresses configured.  All other devices use dhcp, but I bind ip to mac for all devices which belong in the house, even laptops.  The only devices which use true dynamic addresses are our phones and anything belonging to visitors.

I do use my router's feature to assign specific IP addresses based on MAC address... but also have two unRAID servers on high IP addresses  with fixed IP addresses.

Yes, servers are the devices most likely to be started up before the dhcp server becomes active, and the only devices on my lan which have fixed addresses configured.  All other devices use dhcp, but I bind ip to mac for all devices which belong in the house, even laptops.  The only devices which use true dynamic addresses are our phones and anything belonging to visitors.

for most devices, I do not care if they have a fixed IP or not.  The exceptions are the servers (so I can easily telnet to them), the wireless printer, and the XBMC linux boxes.  The Andriod remote apps for XBMC need an IP address, and it is far easier to just use fixed IP addresses for those boxes so the remotes can easily connect rather than me having to constantly change their settings when anything reboots and gets a different IP address.

Archived