Removal of Drives wipes out config?!

Guys I am following these directions:

On the 5.X series of unRAID

Stop the array by pressing "Stop" on the management interface. Un-assign the drive you wish to remove. On the Utils tab you'll see a New Config option. Invoking it will set a new disk configuration. A side effect will be the immediate invalidation of any prior parity calculation.

When the Apply button is clicked, old parity data will be immediately discarded. When you next start the array, the process of parity calculation on the remaining assigned and working drives will begin. At this point, your array will not be again protected from a disk failure until the system can complete the process of generating new parity information.

However when I go back to the main page - all of the drives are unassigned.  I can't just start the array at this point.  What should I do to get things back up and running.  I was about to re-assign the disks but the question then becomes: do I put disk number 3 in the disk 1 slot and knock all of the drives down the two notches I am replacing of the drives? In other words I am trying to dump disk 1 and 2 - I moved all the data so I believe putting them all down a slot is  a-ok since parity is going to be rebuilt anyway.

Thanks,

Neil