[SOLVED] Copying files to a precleared drive

I just got done preclearing my drives for my new array.  I want to copy files over directly to the drives before assigning the parity drive, so the transfers go faster.  Will formatting the drives and copying files to them mess up the preclear in any way?  I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'm a little paranoid not to mess anything up because the preclear took 49 hours (4TB), and I don't really fancy redoing that step.

just create the array without assigning parity and then begin your copy.

1. Preclear drive(s)

2. assign precleared drive(s) to array (DO NOT ASSIGN PARITY)

3. COPY (NOT MOVE) data to the array.

4. Assign parity let build.

5. check parity.

6. delete data from old source (optional).

Although faster..., that process is NOT one I advise.

You have a new array, and new disks, and the likelihood of a drive having issues is VERY HIGH, even if you preclear the drives.

At the very minimum, I would use a program that VERIFIES the copies of files you migrate to the array.  Do not destroy your original copies until AFTER you install a parity drive, perform an initial parity calc, and then then perform a manual parity CHECK to verify that the parity disk can be read.

FAR BETTER is to assign the parity drive initially (now), and allow it to aid in the data migration and be able to assist if any disk were to fail or develop an un-readable sector.  (It would allow its SMART firmware to re-allocate the sector, rather that just marking it as un-readable.)  Yes,it is slower to migrate the data,  but you can start the copy and go to sleep, and wake with it done.  Do this a few times and you can move a LOT of data.  (I migrated an 8TB server's worth this way)  You still want to use a copy program that verifies the data.

Joe L.