SSD adding to Unraid problem

Hi,

I have a SSD that had Win 8 on it that I want to start using as my cache drive. 

I stopped unraid then shutdown the PC. I then connected the SSD so the spare power and satay leads and booted up the server. However the SSD did not show up to be selected.

I proceeded to turn off the server and swap the power and sata cables over from my existing cache drive to see if there was a problem with the connections but still no drive showed up.

Is there something i need to do to a drive with an OS on it, such as format it first or possibly is there some sort of problem with getting SSDs to show up?

I put the SSD back into my old PC just to see if it was a drive problem but it booted up fine.

any ideas would be appreciated

Cheers

What does your syslog say, can you post it so that we can look at it to see if your ssd is registering?  Examining your log you should be able to see a list of drives unraid finds and what they have been designated as (sda, sdb, sdc etc...).  Please give us the details of your unraid system, so we have a clear picture of what you have put together.

Another question is weather or not unraid supports the TRIM function for SSD drives.  That I don't know.

-- Sideband Samurai

Archived