[SOLVED] lots of handle_stripe read errors

Hello all.

I think one of my drives might be having problems.  All of a sudden I'm noticing lots of errors on the web interface for one of my drives.  Also, a parity check started last night and it appears to have lasted four times longer than expected.  Here is what I have found so far:

- The error count for my disk 5 (/dev/sdg) as per the web interface is 96,070 (the other drives are fine)

- my syslog has hundreds of these errors: "handle_stripe read error: 2882862464/5, count: 1" and "md: disk5 read error" (paired together)

- Reallocated_Sector_Ct is 345

- Current_Pending_Sector is 148

- UDMA_CRC_Error_Count is 0

I have attached some of my syslog showing the errors in addition to the smart report for the suspect drive.  I think this drive will probably need to be replaced but I would feel more comfortable if someone more experienced than I would confirm and also let me know the best way to proceed.  Many thanks in advance!

syslog_shortened.txt

smartsdg.txt

Hello all.

I think one of my drives might be having problems.  All of a sudden I'm noticing lots of errors on the web interface for one of my drives.  Also, a parity check started last night and it appears to have lasted four times longer than expected.  Here is what I have found so far:

- The error count for my disk 5 (/dev/sdg) as per the web interface is 96,070 (the other drives are fine)

- my syslog has hundreds of these errors: "handle_stripe read error: 2882862464/5, count: 1" and "md: disk5 read error" (paired together)

- Reallocated_Sector_Ct is 345

- Current_Pending_Sector is 148

- UDMA_CRC_Error_Count is 0

I have attached some of my syslog showing the errors in addition to the smart report for the suspect drive.  I think this drive will probably need to be replaced but I would feel more comfortable if someone more experienced than I would confirm and also let me know the best way to proceed.  Many thanks in advance!

I think you are right.  The disk needs to be replaced.

I ordered a replacement drive and I believe it should arrive within a dew days.

In the mean time I'm noticing that the failing drive is causing hiccups and hangs in the system when I am trying to read media off of it.  While I wait for the new drive to be delivered, is there any way I can force the failing drive out of the array and make the system run in a degraded mode (i.e. rely on parity etc) for the time being?

While I wait for the new drive to be delivered, is there any way I can force the failing drive out of the array and make the system run in a degraded mode (i.e. rely on parity etc) for the time being?

Physically remove the drive. As long as all your other drives are healthy, you should still be able to manually start the array. Keep in mind if any of the remaining drives fails while you run it this way, you will lose all the contents of BOTH drives.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it, but it's your data, and as long as you have backups, go for it.