smartctl help

Loch

I was transferring files to unRaid just now and I noticed rates peaking and dropping a lot more. On opening the web interface I see 254 errors on disc 4 (where I was copying to). I was hoping I could get some suggestions on what to do with this drive.

Smartctl passes without error. No errors are logged on the disc in the 5.0b web interface, but smartctl it looks like

5 Reallocated Sector Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always Never 0

196 Reallocated Event Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old age Always Never 0

197 Current Pending Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old age Always Never 8

198 Offline Uncorrectable 0x0030 200 200 000 Old age Offline Never 1

Full logs attached.  I was hoping someone could suggest what to do. The Uncorrectable bothers me and syslog is filling up with errors.

Thanks for any suggestions.

disk_attributes.txt

syslog.txt

Pending sectors represent unreadable sectors. The drive needs to be rebuilt to clear the pending sectors. If you have a pre-cleared spare use it now and preclear the current disk. If the Current Pending Sector RAW_VALUE goes to zero and the self-assessment is PASSED then the drive becomes the spare. Otherwise the drive can be rebuilt in place with the following procedure:

Stop the array and unassign the drive.

Start the array.

Stop the array and assign the drive.

Start the array and click Rebuild.

After the drive is rebuilt the Current Pending Sector RAW_VALUE should be zero.

Thanks dga.  I have a spare but it's not precleared. I will likely go ahead and preclear the spare and replace the current one (and then preclear that).

If the Current Pending Sector goes to 0, would you feel comfortable continuing to use it (in the array or even spare)? I guess I could then keep an eye on it and if things start happening with it then It would get trashed.

From what I was reading, Offline Uncorrectable is kind of the same thing. Should preclearing/rebuilding reset that to 0 as well?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks dga.  I have a spare but it's not precleared. I will likely go ahead and preclear the spare and replace the current one (and then preclear that).

If the Current Pending Sector goes to 0, would you feel comfortable continuing to use it (in the array or even spare)? I guess I could then keep an eye on it and if things start happening with it then It would get trashed.

From what I was reading, Offline Uncorrectable is kind of the same thing. Should preclearing/rebuilding reset that to 0 as well?

Thanks for the help.

The Offline Uncorrectable RAW_VALUE, like most SMART RAW_VALUES, has no standard meaning. If current pending goes to zero and Self-assessment is PASSED then the drive should be fine. If the Reallocated Sector count RAW_VALUE does not remain stable then the disk should be replaced.

Archived