GIGABYTE GA-F2A85XM-D3H Micro ATX 8 SATA ports?

• 1 month later...

I just used one of these in my new build with A8-5600k CPU.  Seems fine in my initial tests, although I don't have any 3d Bluray ISOs to test.

During my test I was streaming the most demanding 1080p movie to Samsung TV, Tablet, phone and Roku at the same time while writing all my TV collection to the server.  Nothing slowed down except maybe the writes.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried both the F2A85XM-D3H (mATX) and F2A85X-D3H (ATX) boards with unraid 5 and works fine. The 8 sata ports sold me on these. Both boards are basically the same except the ATX one is bigger and has more PCI/PCI-e slots for even more sata cards.

The APU I use is a A4-5300 and 8Gb ram

I noticed that A88 boards are now replacing the A85 range.

PS - I have not had the Gigabyte HPA problem with these new boards. The first board I used was a Gigabyte one from circa 2008 and after reading on the unRAID forum I found a number of my HDD's had been affected hence I went looking for a new board.

Luckily the newer Gigabyte boards appear to no longer exhibit this nasty behaviour.

• 1 month later...

I have been using this board since last April. I have noticed that many of my mkv files will stop playing periodically. It is almost like there is a bad spot in the file, if I skip over the place that it stops prematurely it will play fine?!?! I have not spent a lot of time debugging it since it doesn't happen on all files. It does seem to be happening more and more frequently. I use XBMC to play my video stuff. If I play a failing file with VLC it seems to play fine. I have several XBMC machines and a failing file seems to fail on all machines at the same point, which lead me to believe that there must be something wrong with the file. But a friend of mine who has a similar setup except he does not use Unraid can play the same file on his XBMC without a problem.

Since the failure occurs at the same file location, that seemed to rule out network issues to me. So I have been wondering if it maybe MB related issues? My previous unraid MB did not seem to have this issue. I'm just not sure when exactly the problem started occurring. So I am thinking it must be either my MB or an Unraid glitch. I am running version 5.0. I think before upgrading the MB, I updated OS to one of the 5.0rc from 4.7?

Any Ideas on how to narrow down where the problem is?

B2