Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 External HDD for $120 + free shipping

dragon123

For its newsletter subscribers only, newegg offers the Seagate 3TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive, model no. STCA3000101, for $139.99. Coupon code "EMCXWVL46" cuts it to $119.99. With free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178110&Tpk=STCA3000101

Amazon has it at 119.99 also:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00829THQE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Does anyone know what the drive is in this and if it would work well in an unRAID server?

EDIT: Just noticed a user picture on Amazon that shows the drive is a ST3000DM001, which is a 7200 RPM drive. Seems like a reasonable drive and probably a good choice for the cache. Probably better off with a WD RED drive for the array right?

Does anyone know what the drive is in this and if it would work well in an unRAID server?

EDIT: Just noticed a user picture on Amazon that shows the drive is a ST3000DM001, which is a 7200 RPM drive. Seems like a reasonable drive and probably a good choice for the cache. Probably better off with a WD RED drive for the array right?

Either drive would work fine. The difference here is that the Red drive would give you warranty. Once you remove this drive from the enclosure you are voiding the warranty. Seagate knows it came from an external drive. If you plug the serial number into the Seagate website it will tell you it does not have a warranty. I have two ST3000DM001s. One I removed from an enclosure and another I am keeping as a spare that I bought as a bare drive so it has warranty. It was only $89 shipped on black friday. Couldn't pass it up!  ;D