"Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter"?

yeedao

I am not a computer expert but trying to convert my 7 years old computer Sony Vaio PCV-RX380DS into an Unraid Server; the computer still works fine, other than the noisy fan.

It currently has a 80Gb and 40Gb hard disc drive - both Seagate drives and seem to be working fine.

Operating System: Windown XP Professional, Service Pack 3

Processor: Intel P4, 1.5GHz

Memory: 384MB Rambus RAM

Video Card: GeForce FX 5500

Messages show up as below:

"

Update ESCD Successfully

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

"

BIOS setting used:

1. ATAPI CD-ROM [Disabled]

2. Removable Device [uSB FDD]  (I have also tried [uSB ZIP] but came out with the same error message)

3. IDE Hard Drive [Disabled]

4. Other Boot Device [Disabled]

Silent Boot [Disabled]

I have tried both command of

c:\syslinux.exe f:

and

c:\syslinux.exe -ma f:

but neither worked.

Really appreciate any suggestions to fix this problem...

Please forgive some very basic questions, I don't know your level of experience.

I noticed above that the IDE drives are Disabled, and would like to confirm that that IDE setting was in the section on Boot settings, not that IDE drives are completely disabled.

Would you confirm that the C: drive is accessible, and you can see the files and folders in the C: root.

Would you confirm that you copied the latest syslinux.exe to the root of the C: drive.

Would you confirm that your unRAID flash drive was installed as F:.

Could you provide the exact error message you got when you tried the c:\syslinux.exe -ma f: command.

The best resource for preparing a bootable unRAID flash drive is the USB Flash Drive Preparation wiki page.

Thanks for the suggestions but problem persists..

From WeeboTech

"Try using the HP Format tool on the Flash Key.

It is designed to set a specific geometry that is usually detected."

I did try to format with the "HP Format Tool", and it helped as the Error message of  "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter" no longer showing up. But the problem now changed to "hanging" there -- cursor blinks without moving forward.

I also followed RobJ's suggestions below

"Please forgive some very basic questions, I don't know your level of experience.

I noticed above that the IDE drives are Disabled, and would like to confirm that that IDE setting was in the section on Boot      settings, not that IDE drives are completely disabled.

Would you confirm that the C: drive is accessible, and you can see the files and folders in the C: root.

Would you confirm that you copied the latest syslinux.exe to the root of the C: drive.

Would you confirm that your unRAID flash drive was installed as F:.

Could you provide the exact error message you got when you tried the c:\syslinux.exe -ma f: command.

The best resource for preparing a bootable unRAID flash drive is the USB Flash Drive Preparation wiki page."

IDE drives only disabled in the boot menu of the Bios;

I am too clear about the question if C: drive is accessible. I thought so, in the Bios main menu, both hard drives are enabled.

The UNRAID flash drive was installed as G:

The command used therefore is

As mentioned above, the reboot process is just "Hanging" for the beginning, with the cursor blinking. There are couple of times the message would come up as "enter any key to start the reboot process", after done entering any key, process will then get stuck with cursor blinking.

I am using Lexar Firefly 1Gb, exactly as recommended by the instruction.

I have read thru the discussion forum, not that I understand all of them, but I wonder if my problem really lies in the old revision of the Motherboard bios.

As the computer is Sony Vaio PCV-RX380DS. I googled online and found out that the motherboard was most likely Asus WMT-LX ACPI, and the Bios was from so-calledl AwardBios Rev1003. The website obvious has some scanning software which I downloaded to scan my computer and indicated that my system needs updates but it would charge me like $30. I am kind of hesitant but tend to go with it... in the mean time, this is really some area I am not too familiar with.

I did tried the the flash drive on my more recent Dell Letitude D410 laptop and boot up perfectly until the "Tower Login in".

(I did not know what to put in, now I know it should be "root")

Anyway, that's pretty much the problem(s), any suggestions will be appreciated.

The UNRAID flash drive was installed as G:

The command used therefore is

Please clarify/double check that you are initializing the correct drive. (see above)

Seeing that another computer boots from the flash makes me think it's OK and it's a bios issue.

You may have to alter the bios to boot from either USB-FDD, USB-ZIP/LS or USB-HD.

The hanging you are seeing is sometimes a hint of geometry issues with the boot sector of the device you are booting from.

Sometimes when I'm in doubt I set my boot order to

USB-FDD

USB-ZIP/LS

USB-HDD

then reboot, go back into bios and set boot priority and see if I see my choice of USB Device as the first option.

If not move it to the first option.

>> and indicated that my system needs updates but it would charge me like $30. I am kind of hesitant but tend to go with it...

Dunno if I would shell out $30 for this.. I would do s'more searching on Sony or look at the motherboard itself.

Still kind of stuck here:

Multiple tries with following selections with underlines.

Boot Manual:

1. Removal Device: Disabled / Legacy Floppy / LS-120 / ZIP-100 / ATAPI MO / USB FDD / USB ZIP

2. IDE Hard drive: Disabled / ST380215A / ST340016A

3. Other Boot Device: Disabled / SCSI Boot Device / INT18 Device (Network)

4. ATAPI CD-ROM: Disabled / Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD / Sony CD-RW CRX160E

Silent Boot: Disabled / Enabled

Also, tried different setting of I/O Device Configuration in the Advanced Manual (selections with underline)

I/O Device Configuration

Onboard AC97 Audio Controller: Disabled / Enabled

Onboard 1394 Controller: Disabled / Enabled

Onboard Lan Controller: Disabled / Enabled

Onboard Serial Port 1: 3F8H/IRQ4 / 2F8H/IRQ3 / 3E8H/IRQ4 / 2E8H/IRQ10 / Disabled

Onboard Parallel Port: Disabled / 3BCH/IRQ7 / 378H/IRQ7 / 278H/IRQ5

Onboard Game Port: Disabled / Enabled

Onboard MIDI I/O: Disabled / Enabled

Anyhow, seems like I am exhausting the efforts here... do I need to try the makebootfat way, or try to upgrade the bios (not even sure if it is relevant here), or other suggestions...

Thanks.

The flash was already proven to work on another board, But it doesn't hurt to try makebootfat or other instructions on the board.

See also

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2407.0

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=922.0

Keep in mind, I have had issues with certain flash being non bootable on certain boards no matter what I did.

If none of these work and a bios upgrade is free, I would try that.

It seems you've tried everything to get this to boot off a usb flash.

Perhaps there is something with the bios preventing it.

What is the size of this flash?

Do you have another flash?

Since you've readjusted to generating the flash, does it boot up on the other computer?

Archived