Replace Failed 2TB Drive With 3TB - 4.7 Final

I have a 3TB drive that went through multiple Pre-Clear passes on a test 5.0 system.  I'd like to use the HPA trick to reduce the size to match the 2TB drive, then use it to replace the failed drive.  Its on the on-board controller on a C2SEE, so I wouldn't expect controller problems.  Anyone see potential problems?

HPA procedure here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=21325.msg189469#msg189469

Not a good idea.  Some linux kernels unlock the HPA.

Set the drive to 2TB with HDAT2 and verified after a power off.  Booted UnRaid RC8a, and it saw a 3TB drive.

Figured if I ever wanted to upgrade from 4.7 to 5.0, I should stay away from mucking with the HPA.

Anyone holding off for 5.0 Final will have to bite the bullet and buy 2TB drives if you have a drive failures.  Wish I upgraded earlier.

I'm still on 4.7 with a maxed out Plus license (six 2TB drives). Lately I've been giving serious thought to upgrading to 5.0 for the same reasons you're talking about, although I do have a spare 2TB drive right now in case of an emergency.

My plan is to test 5.0 for a bit while looking for a deal on a 3TB WD Red drive. I'll swap that in as parity and get a pro license so I can add the two 2TB back in as data drives.