HELP: unformatted data disk !!

(some) data loss is to be expected ?

You never know.  Remember, you overwrote part of it when you swapped them and it started a parity calc.  There have been some miracles though, with nearly everything recovered.  It might be that the files end up in a lost+found directory, they might not even have their proper names or file extensions, but typically subdirectories do well.

unRAID is not a backup of precious data, it is a way to deal with a single disk failure, and only if you've set it up and calculated parity.  When you first set a new configuration, you immediately invalidated parity.  We're now just trying to recover what we can of your data.

Sorry to bump this thread ...

Is there any other thing I can try to retrieve some of the data, or should I consider it a total loss ?  :(

I do not know much more you can do.     

About the only thing you've not tried is to re-partition to sector 63, rebuild a superblock there, and then rebuild the file tree once more.  Odds are you'll not get anything, and it is very likely your first attempts have eliminated that from working.

All you can try is a third-party data recovery tool under windows... It is possible it will fail too.

Joe L.

You might try photoRec or testdisk these are linux based and are on most recovery CD's that you can download. photorec was the only program I could get my photos and mp3's off a failing drive. There is a lot of work to do afterwards as the file names will most likely not give you a clue of what the file is other than file type. Unless the data is irreplaceable it is probably be easier to start over.

Hi,

I already knew about photorec, but on the info page it states:

ReiserFS includes some special optimizations centered around tails, a name for files and end portions of files that are smaller than a filesystem block. In order to increase performance, ReiserFS is able to store files inside the b*tree leaf nodes themselves, rather than storing the data somewhere else on the disk and pointing to it. Unfortunately, PhotoRec isn't able to deal with this - that's why it doesn't work well with ReiserFS.