Unraid finished - Shares created - now what?

THis is completely newbish and I have read 15 guides trying to sort this out..but no luck.

I have finished preclearing, checking reading, assigning...all that stuff...but now, how do I see my shares in Windows (or do I not?)

I have created a share and am trying to copy files via a guide but it says I should see the Shares under Network..which I do not?

In Windows explorer type:-

\\$ServerLANIP\

or

\\$ServerHostName\

By default, the server hostname is "tower" (modifiable here), so, first of all try:-

\\tower\

You can also mount it as a 'drive' in my computer by right clicking on any empty space in "My computer" and hit "Mount a network location", enter the below as the address.

\\$ServerIPOrHost\$ShareName

Poking around I set a Network (mapped) drive in Explorer..is this the same thing as you mentioned above.  I do see it now...is safe to Drag drop copy files now?

Sorry for dumb questions this stuff is all new to me so I don't wanna break it ;)

Also, thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, it's just a SMB share and all files should be saved correctly. If you want to verify it, copy a file onto a share, telnet into the server and type:-

dir /mnt/user/$shareName/

and you should see your file, so, assuming the share is "Movies", you'd type:-

dir /mnt/user/Movies/

NOTE:- Share names are case sensitive while in the unix CLI (Telnet/SSH)

Anyway, the main things you'll want to try is:-

A. Copying a file to to

B. Creating a new file

C. Deleting a file

D. Modifying a file

E. Renaming a file

If all of that works, then, it would seem as though it's A-OK.

Will do.  And apparently I meant to map a network drive but I did  "add network location" which still worked but I want to associate a drive letter but now I can't figure out how to unmap the network location lol.

Ahhh..learning experiences are fun :)\

Poking around I set a Network (mapped) drive in Explorer..is this the same thing as you mentioned above.  I do see it now...is safe to Drag drop copy files now?

Sorry for dumb questions this stuff is all new to me so I don't wanna break it ;)

Yes, it's just a SMB share and all files should be saved correctly. If you want to verify it, copy a file onto a share, telnet into the server and type:-

dir /mnt/user/Movies/

A. Copying a file to to

B. Creating a new file

C. Deleting a file

D. Modifying a file

E. Renaming a file

All appears to be working...now time to copy over my TB of data...woo :)  Next up installing Sick Beard and SAB.  Then getting license and cache drive :)  Uh..in opposite order though..lol

16 hours to copy just my TV Shows folder...OUCH.  I read before about turning off the Parity drive when I need to migrate data...is this smart or should I just patiently let it copy?

Will do.  And apparently I meant to map a network drive but I did  "add network location" which still worked but I want to associate a drive letter but now I can't figure out how to unmap the network location lol.

Ahhh..learning experiences are fun :)\

dir /mnt/user/Movies/

A. Copying a file to to

B. Creating a new file

C. Deleting a file

D. Modifying a file

E. Renaming a file

All appears to be working...now time to copy over my TB of data...woo :)  Next up installing Sick Beard and SAB.  Then getting license and cache drive :)  Uh..in opposite order though..lol

16 hours to copy just my TV Shows folder...OUCH.  I read before about turning off the Parity drive when I need to migrate data...is this smart or should I just patiently let it copy?

I don't believe you can remove your parity once it's assigned without resetting your whole configuration, if you want to do it, that's basically what a cache drive is for.

I wouldn't recommend it simply because you've already got it set up, however, if you want to re-set it up, feel free.

So..it will take a couple days but once my files copy, I can add in cache drive then I should be good to go?

I had wanted to start my install of SAB and Sick Beard but I forgot, have to go grab a cache drive anyways so I will do that this weekend and let files copy meanwhile..not a huge deal since I only have 1 TB of data to copy.

Thanks for the help.  I wasn't so sure originally about creating an unraid but the forums and guides all helped and it looks like once this is set up it will be an amazing solution to storage and serving.

I forgot one last question, my motherboard only has 1 6Gb sata port, which drive would be best to put on that port, the cache or parity drive?

So..it will take a couple days but once my files copy, I can add in cache drive then I should be good to go?

I had wanted to start my install of SAB and Sick Beard but I forgot, have to go grab a cache drive anyways so I will do that this weekend and let files copy meanwhile..not a huge deal since I only have 1 TB of data to copy.

Thanks for the help.  I wasn't so sure originally about creating an unraid but the forums and guides all helped and it looks like once this is set up it will be an amazing solution to storage and serving.

I forgot one last question, my motherboard only has 1 6Gb sata port, which drive would be best to put on that port, the cache or parity drive?

Add cache drive, assign it, reboot your machine (Important, I was stuck on this one for hours, unraid refuses to use the cache drive until after a reboot), move all applications over (Sabnzbd, sickbeard, etc...), done.

As for how to install sabnzbd/sickbeard, grab the two plgs here:-

https://github.com/Influencer/UNplugged

Download them to:-

/boot/plugins

On the unraid box and then either restart the machine or type:-

installplg /boot/plugins/*.plg

Finally, configure the plugins in the "settings" tab of the web-ui, it'll look like this:-

Sabnzbd:-

DGAoHPt.png

http://tower/Settings/sabnzbd

Sickbeard:-

Dxbxj07.png

http://tower/Settings/sickbeard

The rest will just be configuring the plugins how you would on any other PC, via their respected web-UI.

Finally, for the 6Gbit port, it really depends, what model of drive is the parity and what model is the cache drive? Lots of people have solid state drives as their cache drives (Faster, more reliable, etc...) and in that case I'd place the cache drive in the 6Gbit port, otherwise, it really doesn't matter, however, I'd probably still say the cache drive as the parity drive is limited by the other drives it's correlating with.

EDIT:- oh, and hard-drives don't go up to 384MB/s, even on the outer-edge of the platter, so, unless it's a SSD (Which models can achieve ~ 500MB/s) it's doesn't matter either way.

Outstanding information...look forward to getting cache drive and installing the apps.  Hoping I don't get lost in configuartion, but it looks like it's pretty much the same thing as I had here on windows...just have to point the directories to the correct linux paths instead of the usual windows path.  Assume also since web interface it will look the same as it did here on Windows.

Thanks again!  License next!

Outstanding information...look forward to getting cache drive and installing the apps.  Hoping I don't get lost in configuartion, but it looks like it's pretty much the same thing as I had here on windows...just have to point the directories to the correct linux paths instead of the usual windows path.  Assume also since web interface it will look the same as it did here on Windows.

Like I said, once you get the program to run, everything is the exact same as windows/macosx versions of the program, other than that sickbeard using github revision IDs as version numbers instead of build numbers.

Like I said, once you get the program to run, everything is the exact same as windows/macosx versions of the program, other than that sickbeard using github revision IDs as version numbers instead of build numbers.

Great, should be a breeze then.  Thanks for all the detailed help, last thing for learning sake.  I know my media share is in  \\Tower\Media..  What is the directory structure for the flash drive (boot) if I wanted to Map that in Windows also?

Great, should be a breeze then.  Thanks for all the detailed help, last thing for learning sake.  I know my media share is in  \\Tower\Media..  What is the directory structure for the flash drive (boot) if I wanted to Map that in Windows also?

\\Tower\Flash

Is the "/boot" directory, so,

/boot/plugins

would result in:-

\\tower\flash\plugins

Cache drive is "cache", shares are the name of the share, and disks are "diskX" where X is a number starting at 1 and increasing by 1 for each disk you have.

\\Tower\Flash

/boot/plugins

\\tower\flash\plugins

Cache drive is "cache", shares are the name of the share, and disks are "diskX" where X is a number starting at 1 and increasing by 1 for each disk you have.

I think all plugins except SimpleFeatures belong in /boot/config/plugins

\\Tower\Flash

/boot/plugins

\\tower\flash\plugins

I think all plugins except SimpleFeatures belong in /boot/config/plugins

Really? I have nothing there:-

root@Tower:/boot/plugins# dir
anetwait.plg*
couchpotato_v2_unplugged.plg*
sabnzbd_unplugged.plg*
sickbeard_unplugged.plg*
simpleFeatures/
simpleFeatures.active.streams-1.0.10-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.activity.monitor-1.0.11-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.cache.dirs-1.0.11-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.core.webGUI-1.0.11-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.disk.health-1.0.11-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.disk.preclear-1.0.10-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.email.notify-1.0.10-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.log.viewer-1.0.10-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.system.info-1.0.10-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.system.stats-1.0.10-noarch-1.plg*
simpleFeatures.web.server-1.0.11-noarch-1.plg*
transmission_unplugged.plg*

root@Tower:/boot/config/plugins# dir
couchpotato_v2/  images/  plexmediaserver/  sabnzbd/  sickbeard/  transmission/

I only have the... well... CONFIGuration files for said plugins

Influencer's Wiki

Limetech says

I think the SimpleFeatures folks decided that SimpleFeature was a "system plugin"

But I don't know if it makes a difference in most (or any) cases. They just get installed earlier that way. Both locations are on the "automatically installed" list. I can imagine that the order might be important sometimes.

I've had no issues, so, I'll keep them where they are, from what it looks like it's only required if:-

A. If one lot of plugins require another lot of plugins

B. You want some plugins to install first, then less important ones later

Although, I might be mistaken. However, my way works and I'm not going to fix what isn't broken.

So like an idiot I installed one of the plg files per your instructions before..then realized I don't have my cache drive installed yet...lol.  Waiting on the license.

How to I remove what i Just installed or do I even need to bother?  Also once I put in my cache drive does it auto install to the cache drive?  I'm a little lost but trying to learn :)

Or, have I not actually installed them only downloaded and setup the settings page for install?  Meaning it's okay to run each PLG install and then once I get my cache drive going to each settings page and installing there?

Okay, so got my license, cache drive installed and ready.

I am now following this guide:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_Up_SABnzbd,_SickBeard,_and_CouchPotoato

To Install SAB+Sick Beard.  On the step to create appdata folder on cache drive..  when I do what it says the appdata share is created on disk1 instead of cache....do I have to put something in the included disks section or something or is it supposed to be listed under disk1?

Just for reference my desired results (as far as I know) are that I want the apps ont he cache drive, I want my downloads on the cache drive, then Sick Beard will copy finished files to the array.

Am I supposed to type "cache" in the included drives box?  Doing that seemed to put appdata in the right spot (mnt/cache/appdata) just confused since the guide doesn't say to do this.

Then if that IS true, when I go into Settings and install the apps, the guide says to put /mnt/cache/appdata in the data box but it doesn't say what to put in the install box.  Man I am having issues with such simple things lol.

Okay last edit, so I leave the install directory default (usr/local/program/ as I assume that is pointing to the plg files, the data directory I put /mnt/cache/appdata/program.  I do this for each app.  Is this correct?

Or should I have changed something on the install directory box?

Okay, so got my license, cache drive installed and ready.

I am now following this guide:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Setting_Up_SABnzbd,_SickBeard,_and_CouchPotoato

To Install SAB+Sick Beard.  On the step to create appdata folder on cache drive..  when I do what it says the appdata share is created on disk1 instead of cache....do I have to put something in the included disks section or something or is it supposed to be listed under disk1?

Just for reference my desired results (as far as I know) are that I want the apps ont he cache drive, I want my downloads on the cache drive, then Sick Beard will copy finished files to the array.

Am I supposed to type "cache" in the included drives box?  Doing that seemed to put appdata in the right spot (mnt/cache/appdata) just confused since the guide doesn't say to do this.

Then if that IS true, when I go into Settings and install the apps, the guide says to put /mnt/cache/appdata in the data box but it doesn't say what to put in the install box.  Man I am having issues with such simple things lol.

Okay last edit, so I leave the install directory default (usr/local/program/ as I assume that is pointing to the plg files, the data directory I put /mnt/cache/appdata/program.  I do this for each app.  Is this correct?

Or should I have changed something on the install directory box?

Cache should be included, it should be set to only. After doing that, run this command in terminal:-

mv /mnt/user0/appdata /mnt/cache/appdata -R

As for the data directory, I personally prefer /mnt/user/appdata/program, but, whatever floats your boat.