Ready to Switch from Suse 9.1 - How straight forward will it be?

I'm using Suse 9.1 on my current server:-

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo

512mb PC3200 Ram

Athlon 3200

RocketRaid Controller (I know this'll need to be swapped out).

I currently have 10 IDE drives (JBOD) of various sizes, all contain a single REISERFS primary partition.  I'm aware my parity drive will need to be at least as big as my largest drive.

How straightforward will it be to switch to unraid?

Many thanks,

Mark.

I'm using Suse 9.1 on my current server:-

Asus A7N8X Deluxe Mobo

512mb PC3200 Ram

Athlon 3200

RocketRaid Controller (I know this'll need to be swapped out).

I currently have 10 IDE drives (JBOD) of various sizes, all contain a single REISERFS primary partition.  I'm aware my parity drive will need to be at least as big as my largest drive.

How straightforward will it be to switch to unraid?

Many thanks,

Mark.

You will need to make the parity drive the first drive on the main IDE controller and, as already described, it must be as big or bigger than any of the other drives. It does not need to have a file system on it.  I would disconnect all the other drives initially until I got the unRaid software to where it could boot from the flash drive.

Don't know if your motherboard will boot from the USB port, don't know if the built in networking chipset is supported, don't know if performance is as good as the recommended motherboard, but other than that, you should be in fine shape and as Tom has said, you can mail the unRaid flash back to him if not satisfied and get your money back (you must pay to mail it back, but that won't be much...)

You do realize that you will be switching from a full version of Linux to one stripped down to act as network file sorage.  If you are looking for xwindows, desktop, email, etc you will not find them in unRaid.  If you are looking for network storage, and not much else, it might be exactly what you are looking for.

Joe L.

Unraid will recognize the existing reiserfs partitions, so you won't have to do any data copying.
That's what I was hoping to hear! :D

You will need to make the parity drive the first drive on the main IDE controller and, as already described, it must be as big or bigger than any of the other drives. It does not need to have a file system on it.

I was aware of this, it will be easy to replace my current current first main IDE drive with a shiny new parity drive.

I would disconnect all the other drives initially until I got the unRaid software to where it could boot from the flash drive.
Good tip,

Don't know if your motherboard will boot from the USB port, don't know if the built in networking chipset is supported, don't know if performance is as good as the recommended motherboard, but other than that, you should be in fine shape and as Tom has said, you can mail the unRaid flash back to him if not satisfied and get your money back (you must pay to mail it back, but that won't be much...)

I have a couple of these boards including one with Marvel Gig lan onboard, which is the one that will be tried first.  I read elsewhere that this motherboard does work, though aparantly boots very slowly (USB 1.1 Boot?)  I don't have a problem with that at all.  Worst case scenario is I buy another Mobo, but with all the variations out there for each model I don't want to get a replacement Mobo unless I have to.

I expect I'll need to replace my current "4 x 2 channel" rocketraid IDE controller for the recommended "2 x 2 Channel" ones, but that's a cheapo fix as I already have an alternative use for my current controller if this is the case.

You do realize that you will be switching from a full version of Linux to one stripped down to act as network file sorage.  If you are looking for xwindows, desktop, email, etc you will not find them in unRaid.  If you are looking for network storage, and not much else, it might be exactly what you are looking for.
I already have several other Suse10 machines, this one is purely data storage :)

Thanks for the replies,

Mark.