[SOLVED] PreClear Help Please

First – Thank you JoeL for the lovely PreClear Script.

Good day Forumites.

In setting up my new UnRaid server I am using 4 new 4TB drives.  Two nights ago I launched PreClear via the local Console/Terminal – opening up a preclear for each drive using ALT+F1-F4.

Now, when I turn on the monitor (an HDTV via HDMI fed from a DVI port) the screen recognizes an input signal, but only a black screen is shown.  Touching the keyboard does not cause the screen to display any data.  On the night that I launched the 4 preclears, 'waking up' the screen worked a few times. 

If I turn on my windows 7 machine and open up unMenu and select myMain I am able to see under the Notes section an update on the PreClear Progress for each disk – this contains limited information in a yellow box that updates with any webpage refresh (F5) (ie. Pre-Read x%, Post-Read x%, # of reads, # of writes, Temperature, Read/Write rate, etc)

I had planned on reviewing the results AND saving  all 12 of them via

grep preclear /var/log/syslog | todos >> /boot/prc_sda_r1.txt

grep preclear /var/log/syslog | todos >> /boot/prc_sdb_r1.txt

grep preclear /var/log/syslog | todos >> /boot/prc_sdd_r3.txt

Given that the preclear still seams to be working, but that the local console screen is no longer‘waking up,’ how can I go about

1 – reviewing the results for each disk prior to launching the 2nd preclear

2 – saving the results for each disk’s preclear

As an aside – preclearing 4TB drives takes a LONG LONG time but is worth it for the peace of mind in knowing that the drive will not likely cause issues anytime soon.

Thank you all! 

edit - I am using unRAID Server 5.0-rc12a with the PreClear and unMenu as of 05/31/2013

First – Thank you JoeL for the lovely PreClear Script.

Good day Forumites.

In setting up my new UnRaid server I am using 4 new 4TB drives.  Two nights ago I launched PreClear via the local Console/Terminal – opening up a preclear for each drive using ALT+F1-F4.

Now, when I turn on the monitor (an HDTV via HDMI fed from a DVI port) the screen recognizes an input signal, but only a black screen is shown.  Touching the keyboard does not cause the screen to display any data.  On the night that I launched the 4 preclears, 'waking up' the screen worked a few times. 

If I turn on my windows 7 machine and open up unMenu and select myMain I am able to see under the Notes section an update on the PreClear Progress for each disk – this contains limited information in a yellow box that updates with any webpage refresh (F5) (ie. Pre-Read x%, Post-Read x%, # of reads, # of writes, Temperature, Read/Write rate, etc)

I had planned on reviewing the results AND saving  all 12 of them via

grep preclear /var/log/syslog | todos >> /boot/prc_sda_r1.txt

grep preclear /var/log/syslog | todos >> /boot/prc_sdb_r1.txt

grep preclear /var/log/syslog | todos >> /boot/prc_sdd_r3.txt

Given that the preclear still seams to be working, but that the local console screen is no longer‘waking up,’ how can I go about

1 – reviewing the results for each disk prior to launching the 2nd preclear

2 – saving the results for each disk’s preclear

As an aside – preclearing 4TB drives takes a LONG LONG time but is worth it for the peace of mind in knowing that the drive will not likely cause issues anytime soon.

Thank you all! 

edit - I am using unRAID Server 5.0-rc12a with the PreClear and unMenu as of 05/31/2013

There is NO NEED for you to do anything to save the results.  The results are automatically saved to the directory /boot/preclear_reports.

The instructions you have seen to "grep" the syslog pre-date the automatic saving of results.

under /boot/preclear_reports will be three files per disk.

1. the initial SMART report

2. the final SMART report

3. and the summary results comparing the two SMART reports. 

Those files are put there upon completion of the process for a given disk. (don't look for them there until each disk is done)

Joe L.