Advice re: error column on web ui main screen

Hi guys,

I'm currently running 5rc16c but was about to start the process of upgrading to 5 final, when I logged into my server and noticed that one of my drives is showing a value of 9 in the Errors column.

This is the first time I've ever seen anything other than 0 in that column, so I'm a bit concerned about what it means.

Is it something I should be concerned about?

I've checked the syslog and found 9 instances of it reporting a sector being unreadable. I've run a smartctl -a for the drive which shows a 1 as the raw value for Offline_Uncorrectable, but 0 for the Reallocated and Pending sector counts.

I've attached both the smart report and syslog for information. The drive is sdf (or disk4) and the errors in the syslog can be seen in the area of the log for Sep 1 07:01. Thinking about it, at this time it would have been in the middle of the monthly parity check.

The drive in question is a 3TB WD Green, that was originally my parity drive until a few weeks ago when I upgraded parity to a 4TB and reassigned the old parity as a data drive.

Should I be concerned and thinking about replacing the drive?

I'm going to hold off on the upgrade to v5 final for now, until I've taken some advice.

Peter

Edit: Just to add - the parity check, which was running at the time the errors showed in the syslog, completed with no errors.

syslog.txt

sdf.txt

I'm in a similar position - I have over the weekend upgraded to 5 from RC16c and now I see one of my drives has 158 errors listed. I started running a parity check this morning so will see what happens when I get home...As far as I can tell, if it is something that has not happened before, or for some time, then it should be something to keep an eye on, but if it has happened recently or if it happens again soon, then it is something to be concerned about...I will be interested to see what other people post...

Archived