ASRock Z87 Extreme 11 Mobo comes with 22 SATA 6Gbps ports

http://www.maximumpc.com/asrock_z87_extreme_11_motherboard_sports_whopping_22_sata_6gbps_ports

"There are plenty of ports on and around the board. For you storage junkies and/or RAID fanatics, there are a staggering 22 SATA 6Gbps ports (plus three SATA 3Gbps ports). Need more? There's also three mSATA ports to play with. That paves the say for a lot of storage."

Could be interesting to use for unRAID

TheWombat

This board is expected to cost at least $800 -- and possibly more  ... and draws nearly 70w at idle !!

I'd think a nice $200 board with a 24-port HighPoint RocketRAID 2760A (which supports 24 drives)would be a better system ... and could actually support more drives [24 on the controller plus whatever the motherboard supports].

... AND your entire array could easily be moved to another motherboard if ever necessary.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I just got this board on 04-24-2014 for $523.

I also discovered the board support ECC memory, I have 8GB running in it now.  Not sure I saw that in the docs, but it passed memtest, so onward I go...

The problem is I need to flash the IT BIOS for the LSI 3008 card, and there are posts here for flashing the IT BIOS for the 2308.  Anyone care to help out and post the IT BIOS for the 3008 these are shipping with now?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello,

I got the SAS3008 fixed, and it is now flashed in IT mode with the new BIOS.  PHEW!

When I boot it up, it shows all the drives, and I can go into the SAS BIOS and it shows everything now, as well as on the boot screen.

The problem I have is that in unRAID, the drives do not show up.  I pulled 5 drives and placed them on the mobo SATA ports, and those show up.

Do I need a driver for the LSI SAS 3008 to work, even if it is in IT mode?

Dave

Hello,

I went with 6.0-beta4, after trying 5.0.5 and it not seeing any of my drives.  I guess they added support for the LSI SAS 3008 in the new build, and I am up and running, did not even lost my data!  YAY!

Dave

Here is the IT BIOS:

www.davelikesbeer.com/lsi_it_mode_sas3008.zip

and if you want to go back to stock IR mode and make RAID0/2/10 array, like the way it shipped:

www.davelikesbeer.com/lsi_ir_mode_sas3008.zip