mounting smb share off network used to work, but not anymore ?

twg

i have a D-Link 323 NAS, I use this as my 2nd source backup.

I used to mount this to unRaid as follows in my go script:

mkdir -p /mnt/dns323

mount //dns323/Volume_1 /mnt/dns323 -o passwords=

The DNS323 was setup with no passwords and anyone can connect, this used to work for the longest time but I just realized that recently, this stopped working. When manually typing in the commands I get:

root@Tower:/# mkdir -p /mnt/dns323

root@Tower:/# mount //dns323/Volume_1 /mnt/dns323 -o passwords=

mount error(13): Permission denied

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

when I omit the "-o passwords=" option, it asks for a password for the mount but always kicks back the same error as above ?

What gives ?

thanks your suggestion helped... for some odd reason, I had to make changes to my DNS-323's smb.conf file changing SECURITY=SHARE to SECURITY=USER and then with your suggested syntax, it worked again...

strange that this used to work for over a year and now I had to make these changes... might be related to the new Samba going from rc8 to 5.0 final.

• 1 month later...

ok, this is weird, after about a month of random crashes as a result of OOM... and many hours troubleshooting, I've finally narrowed the OOM down to my RSYNC command... and it appears that my mount from above wasn't working... AGAIN...

if I type the mount command on the commandline... it mounts fine... but when it's in my GO script it doesn't mount... there are no errors in the syslog either...

what gives ??

I was using:

mount.cifs //192.168.0.105/Volume_1 /mnt/dns323 -o guest

I also tried:

mount -t cifs //192.168.0.105/Volume_1 /mnt/dns323 -o guest

both work on the commandline but not in my go script...

pulling my hair out here...

Archived